Interesting Malfunction

Previous topic - Next topic

Ralph Masters

While motoring out Saturday morning with the admiral at the helm and I was stowing fenders and mooring lines we had a loss of power on the engine. 
The first thing I looked at was the temp since I had recentley removed and replace the heat exchanger, but it was normal right on the 160 mark.
So since we were west of the channel we just shut off the engine, and dropped the hook.
I pulled the top steps off and the cover to the engine and looked, no leaks, no water, everything cool indicating no over heating.
I had the admiral move the throatle forward and aft and that linkage seemed to be operation just fine. 
Then I noticed it, the air intake cover with the long, about 2 - 3 inch tube for intake, had vibrated around and was against the stabroard bulkhead and had sucked up flat against the insulation in the engine compartment choking off the air into the engine.
After turning it around and tighting it down, restarted the engine and no problems, everything back to normal.
Pulled the hook out of the mud and we were on our way, of course the wind was not coorperating so we spent time that afternoon, along with others on the bay just sitting, but it was better then being in the office.

Ralph
Ciao Bella
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

patrice

Quote from: SD Diver on March 04, 2013, 07:46:39 AM
of course the wind was not coorperating so we spent time that afternoon, along with others on the bay just sitting, but it was better then being in the office.

Ralph
Ciao Bella

Hi,
As they say '' any bad day on the boat is still better than a great day at the office''

Glad everything ended up without major issue.  Fun when you can find the trouble quickly. 
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ken Juul

Interesting.  My air filter/silencer does not have a horn on it.  Can you add a picture?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : When the M25XP engines first can out in the 1987 C34s, the air intake had a 3inch tapered snoot.  Can't remember if some of the M25 engines in the 1986s had that snoot on the air filter or not.

The 1988 C34 had the round air filter with the foam noise surpressor on them.   
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Our 1986 M25 came with the "old style" round filter, no snoot.  We replaced it with the new style with the foam filter.  That filter can be replaced at Napa auto with a Briggs & Stratton filter piece.  Napa 7-02278 Pre-filter, replaces B&S 270782, 271794 pre-filter for 7-02210
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Kevin Henderson

I replaced mine with the K&N Filter.  Love it and its pretty close to maintenance free.  (And secure) :abd:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?prod=ru-2450
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

stevewitt1

Kevin

Is that RU-2450 the exact model?  I like K&N.  IMHO I feel it will do better than the foam, if so it just made the list.

Steve

visit us at www.ocontoyachtclub.com & www.warbirdsix.com

Kevin Henderson

Steve,

My engine is the M25 XP.  The RU-2450 is the filter that I bought.  I went to Pep Boys Auto Parts here in San Diego and picked one up.  Fit like a charm.  I found out about it in the thread that I've linked here:   :abd: 

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,1755.0.html
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

efhughes3

Thanks for the heads up Ralph, I need to check mine.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC