New Chain Plate Source?

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Sutherland

I'm planning to re-bed my chain plates on my '86 and want to know where I can buy some new chain plates?  Could not find any at Catalina Direct.  Thanks.
Dunrobin II, 1986 C34 MK1 #170

Stu Jackson

Mark, when in doubt, call the factory. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

TonyP

Tony Plunkett
C34 Moonshadow
1992  Hull#1174
Pittwater / Newport
NSW Australia

Mark Sutherland

I asked Catalina Direct about the chain plate availability and cost while placing on order for unrelated parts.  They said that their product info indicated that they carried chain plates for the C36, and that their technical might confirm that they also might fit the C34.  When I asked for a price, I was told about $890 for a pair of upper chain plates with associated tie rods, and around $190 each for lower chain plates(not including tie rod).  I think I better try Catalina and/or Garhauer.

Steve Weiss

Quote from: marksutherland on December 05, 2012, 05:51:15 PM
I asked Catalina Direct about the chain plate availability and cost while placing on order for unrelated parts.  They said that their product info indicated that they carried chain plates for the C36, and that their technical might confirm that they also might fit the C34.  When I asked for a price, I was told about $890 for a pair of upper chain plates with associated tie rods, and around $190 each for lower chain plates(not including tie rod).  I think I better try Catalina and/or Garhauer.

I called Catalina to ask about the new chainplates and all they had were new chainplate covers. $9 each.

lazybone

Quote from: marksutherland on November 22, 2012, 08:59:17 PM
I'm planning to re-bed my chain plates on my '86 and want to know where I can buy some new chain plates?  Could not find any at Catalina Direct.  Thanks.

My dumb question.

What is wrong with your chain plates?
Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

Ted Pounds

I was kinda wondering the same thing...   :shock:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Mark Sutherland

Since I haven't pulled the chain plates yet, I don't know that there IS anything wrong with them, besides being 26 years old.  To be honest,  I expected them to cost maybe $30-40 apiece and figured it would make sense to replace them while I'm going to all the work of removing and rebedding them.  Now that I know they're going to be expensive, I'll need to see some deterioration in the existing ones before I can justify the cost. 

Stephen Butler

The chain plates on our 1990 are still in great condition so are still in the boat.  We did check with a local ss shop in Tampa about replacements and were quoted $450, not including the tie rods, plates, and other bits and pieces.  This was 2 years ago.  One item that our yard manager pointed out were the turn buckel connections to the chain plates....too small of pins, resulting in point loading. Corrected now. We will check ours once again when the boat hits the water in 2 to 3 years.   
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

mregan

I just re-bedded mine on my '86 a month ago.  There was a bit of rust on a couple that I was able to clean off.  Besides that, they are still in great condition.  It's not that big of a project, although my mast is down so I was able to all at the same time.  Once I figured out how the rods came loose, it was probably 1 hour to pull everything apart & epoxy, wait overnight, then another hour the next day to remount everything.

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

mtullier

I just re-beded one of my chainplates last week with "Life Caulk".  Please give me your opinions on using this over 4200/5200.  I'm hoping this last as long if not longer than the 4200/5200 since it is designed to flex.
Mike

Stu Jackson

Life caulk is good.  The previous post I linked to showed the butyl I used.

4200 and 5200 are termed Satan's Glue and shouldn't be used on a boat (except 5200 gfor the hull to deck joint!).  They are adhesives, not sealants.

ghebbns

Hi Stu,

Sorry to be off the original topic, but I have to replace a few of the thru hulls in the spring and I was going to use 4200 or 5200.  Is there something better?

Thanks
1990 C34 #1040
M 25XP

Stu Jackson

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/boat_projects

Maine Sail's website, includes at lot of info on a lot of issues.  IIRC he has a great discussion/photos of thru hulls and seacocks.