battery terminal corrosion prevention

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Seems like after a couple months I have to clean my battery terminals to remove some green corrosion, but it allways comes back, the internet and auto stores have a lot of ideas to help prevent this, but just wondering what some of my fellow 34 owners have done in the past, I have 4 trojan 105's and a dedicated start battery, with copper ring connections. thanks guys
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

mainesail

Quote from: Bobg on October 15, 2012, 08:55:13 PM
Seems like after a couple months I have to clean my battery terminals to remove some green corrosion, but it allways comes back, the internet and auto stores have a lot of ideas to help prevent this, but just wondering what some of my fellow 34 owners have done in the past, I have 4 trojan 105's and a dedicated start battery, with copper ring connections. thanks guys

You can coat them with anything from Vaseline to NO-OX-ID or even an el-cheapo battery terminal spray. For battery terminals I generally use Super Lube Anti-Corrosion GEL. I have never had any signs of terminal corrosion while using it on battery lugs. I apply it with an acid brush..

That said battery lugs for marine use should ideally be tin plated copper, not bare copper. No such thing as SS lugs, stainless is a very poor conductor, and you definitely want the tinned copper lug in direct contact with the battery post lead. NO WASHERS between the lug and battery terminal or between stacked lugs. OK to put a washer on top of the lugs but not between or under them...

This photo was taken when these lugs were six years old and the batteries 5 years old. They are at the end of their seventh season (batteries ending sixth) and still look like new. I use Superlube Anti-Corroion GEL on them because I HATE silicone grease...

Too much sign of "acid" damage or corrosion is often a sign of improper charging..

Super Lube Anti-Corrosion GEL has NO SILICONE in it what so ever!!!
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

Bobg

Thank you Mainsail, looks like the answer I was searching for, appreciate it
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Guys : Mainsail didn't mention it, but watch the drippings from your hydrometer and the water your might need to add. 
Ron, Apache #788