Dodger Height with Flix

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Thanks for the topic.  As a result, I took these flix yesterday.  I'm 5'-10" and rapidly shrinking!   :D

Our dodger is lower and also doesn't have a large curve on the top. 

I enjoy NOT having to look through plastic all day long.   :clap
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

sitting then standing, bridge optional :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Kevin Henderson

I've been following this thread for awhile now.  I have noted in previous posts about using a small stool to stand on in the cockpit to see over the Dodger.  I've been taking particular notice of the comments on important features the Dodger should have as well.  I'm lucky to report that my Dodger does have handles and I'm happy to attest to the fact that I would be lost (overboard :shock:) without them.  Then Ron made a comment about ensuring that the front is the same height as the rear.  This is exactly the problem I am faced with.
Is there a (inexpensive) way to modify the height of the Dodger to even out the front and back heights?  And is it possible without changing the canvas fit or having to re drill new base plates for the support?  Curious to hear if anyone out there has been able to make a change without breaking the bank.  :abd:
The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective.
~Henry David Thoreau

Stu Jackson

Kevin, just look carefully at your dodger.  If you lower it, two things will happen:  the frames need to be shortened AND the canvas at the bottom of the dodger will have to be trimmed, including the front (maybe) and the sides which means the glass, too, although you may have enough fabric on the sides so the glass doesn't have to be cut.

If it was my boat, I'd simply ask my canvas - person (mine's a great lady  :D).

Ron Hill

Kevin : Stu has a point. 
I'd guess that any good canvas shop could easily straighten your dodger out at a minimal cost.   
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

Have you thought about tipping the dodger back until the front & back are where you want them? Then add fabric over the existing fabric and add new fastners. New fabric starting just below the windows wouldn't look like a patch job. No change to the frame, but you may need to trim a little from the section you zip in between the bimini and dodger. Trying for a solution with cutting the frame.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Stu Jackson

DODGER FLAWS

I saw this the other day on a Sabre 32.

Can you spot the at least three (or four) flaws?

Compare it to the dodger on the boat in the background for starters.

KWKloeber

In need to clean my glasses.  :shock:  "flaws" or just "differences"?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Stu Jackson

Two of what I would call "flaws" - safety items.

Roc

No hand holds is the first thing I noticed.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Is that not a personal decision weighed based on what one feels are one's needs?  Y'know...... YBYC?

Maybe the owner never take sails in anything but calm conditions? 
Should everyone have jacklines -- just in case they MIGHT be needed? 
How about a harness and lanyard and cockpit strong points installed?

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain