Hurth 50 tran. bottom seam leak

Previous topic - Next topic

DaveM

I have a weeping type leak from the bottom fore to aft case seam. I have checked the shifter seal area and the rear shaft seal but it doesn't seem to be coming from either. Anyone else have this symptom?

Thanks
DaveM
Dave Mauney, O'Day 35, 1989, "DAMWEGAS" , Oriental, NC , M25XP

Ron Hill

Dave : It could be coming from the fwd seal, if as you say it's not the shifter or rear seals!!
The only way is to remove the transmission and really look at it - you know what that will take!?!
Ron, Apache #788

DaveM

Ron

You could be right. I know to get the tran out I have to remove the bell housing cause the tran bolts are inside the bell housing. Thanks for the idea. Since it is a slow weep I guess I will leave well enough alone and keep close eye on it and fluid level. From what I read on post it sounds like the purchase of a zurth would be the better route than an attempted rebuild. Do you know if seal replacements are possible without rebuild?

Thanks
DaveM

Ron Hill

Dave : A good question, I don't know if the fwd seal can be replaced with out busting open the transmission case?  You'll have to ask a transmission guy, but it would seem to me that it could be done.

You first need to check the obvious - the drain plug.  If a PO drained the Xmission and didn't use a new Al crush washer when the plug was replaced, that might be your problem.

Unless you have had some shifting problems, I'd replace the lip seal (if that's the problem) and not rebuild the transmission.
Ron, Apache #788

Ralph Masters

Once removed you should be able to remove the input shaft seal and replace that with out taking the rest of the reduction gear set apart.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

DaveM

Ralph

Thanks.  I think I see that from a drawing I found.  Good news if I have to go that route.

Ron

Your technotes have been great.  On this one you really nailed it.  I had been out a year on major refit and ran it hard today with a pad under the engine and got a drip spot right under the drain plug.  While the boat was out I drained the transmission and replaced the fluid.  Will pump out the top from now on.  The aluminum washer that was there was very old and deformed. I could not find an aluminum crush washer so I used a 1/2" copper oil pan washer.  Apparently it really specifically needs an aluminum crush washer.  Glad this appears to be what it is.  Do you know of a good source for the aluminum crush washers.   Also what size do you use.  Thanks for the help.

Goodwinds
DaveM

Roc

Dave,
I usually buy a bunch of crush washers from Marine Part Source, as part of other items I order.  This site has pretty good prices. 

http://www.marinepartssource.com/index.asp

Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Ron Hill

Dave : You can get the Al crush washers at any Universal dealer, Hurth dealer or any marine transmission place will have them. 
Ron, Apache #788

DaveM

Thanks guys. Helps a bunch.

Goodwinds
DaveM