Changng Transmission Fluid - need some hints

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick Berman

Hey Y'all...I've got a 87' mark I with a Hurth Tranny.  I'm really tired of spilling transmission fluid all over everywhere and its time to get some tips!   Care to share your processes?  Do you remove the heat xchanger?  do you use a small pump or a baster?  help!  Or please direct me to past entries b/c search doesn't seem to get me anywhere.   Thanks!  Rick
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Steve Sayian

Rick,

I just changed my fluid last weekend using the same method except I used a straw on the baster.  Results were the same, no mess, no fuss.

Steve
Steve Sayian
"Ocean Rose"
1999 Mk II
Wing, Std Rig, Kiwi Prop
#1448, Hingham, Mass

Roc

Rick.
Here's what I do.  I go to the dollar store and buy the largest cassarole aluminum pan I can find.  I put it under the engine, making sure the forward end of the aluminum pan edge is still upright (to make sure the downhill fluid doesn't get past it).  By jamming it under the engine, you'll need to bend and twist the pan, but overall, bend it so it creates a nice area to catch the draining fluid.  Unscrew the bolt at the bottom of the transmission and let the fluid drain out into the pan.  There isn't that much fluid so if you set up the pan under the engine, it will be more than enough space to catch it.  After all the fluid is drained, use something to suck it out of the pan and into a bottle for disposal.  I use a lotion pump.  Once the pan is empty, you can take it out from under the engine, making sure to bend it over itself so nothing can drip out.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

pjcomeau

I use my oil extractor pump to remove the oil. Then I use a 50 CC syringe and from the top slide it in until the tip is in. It takes 5 time plus part of a 6th (it would be full 6th if you managed to suck out 100%). Slow,but no mess.

-PC
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada

billhatter

Rick

Get a lower unit quart pump for an outboard.  About $11 @ West Marine.  Get a tupperware pint jar.  The pump fit nicely into the tranny opening.  When you have finished pumping it into the pint jar. Mark the jar with duck tape. Empy the old fluid.  Fill the jar up to your mark with new fluid, change the pump around and pump the contents into the tranny.

Bill Hatter
Proud Mary 
Bill Hatter
Proud Mary
Hull #459

Ken Juul

I didn't follow Stu's link so this may be a repeat.
Start by putting something abosrbant under the transmission.  Suck out all the old with the baster into an empty water bottle and cap. Refill to the top with new fluid, spin the shaft a few times to clean the friction disks.  Let it sit for a bit for sediment to settle.  Start sucking the new fluid out from the bottom of the trans into a new bottle.  When the level gets about half of the old bottle stop.  Dry your Baster/rubber tube.  Using the dip stick as a measure, place a piece of tape on the baster/tube that equals the distance from the bottom of the threads to the full mark.  Insert tube into trans to new mark, continue sucking until you don't get any more.  Double check with the dip stick.

Rick's outboard pump is a novel idea.  I just may have to add to my tool collection.  Not sure but it may fit into the water bottle, that would save cleaning the tupperware.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Tom Lindrup

I do the same method as Bill Hatter and it works well. Just a little bit of acrobatics to get in there but it does work.
Tom Lindrup
tlindrup1@gmail.com
Hull #39   1986 C34 "Chog In"
Sailing Waters: Lake Michigan & White Lake

Ron Hill

Rick : I've sucked out the transmission fluid with a Par Handy Boy pump every spring (fill it full for the winter storage).  I've done this for 21 years and have written it up. 
Long ago I sucked out the fluid when it was at the correct level into a jar.  I took a diamond file and marked that level.  Now all I do is fill the jar to that mark with fresh fluid and add it to the transmission.
Ron, Apache #788

SeaFever

Rick,

When I had the engine in my garage, it was much easier to replace the oil from the Tx... :D

However, with the engine fitted on the boat, there is little space below the Tx to easily get the bolt out let alone putting a container below the Tx to drain it. I knew this would happen so I flushed the Tx very well before installing the engine.

Now that the engine is in place I use the 'Fluid Quart Pump' I purchased at Kragen or Napa. See pics below. The pump was quite cheap and can be used for other things too.

1. I assemble the pump as shown in the 2nd pic
2. Remove the Tx dipstick from the top of the Tx.
3. Insert the straight-tube-end of the pump in the Tx, Place the other end with the flexible tube in a container (could be a empty qt. container of Oil or a measuring container)
4. Pump the oil out into the receiving container. This will also allow for measurement of how much oil needs to go back.
5. Pour new oil in Tx and install the dipstick and you are done. Note: The tightening torque spec for the dipstick nut on Tx is 22Nm or 16 Ft.Lbs.

Hope that helps. Cheers.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

SeaFever

And...here is the second picture. Had to break the post in two to post the second image...
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Rick Berman

Thank  you all for these tips!  really appreciate it...Rick
Rick Berman on the Tula, Puget Sound (Hull 484, M25-XP)

Indian Falls

I've always used vinyl bags, like 2 qt ziplocs in tight quarters on machines at work.

I just reached under the engine loosened the drain plug, placed the bag with the top rolled to retain it's shape and went on about other things while the oil drained.  Filling did not seem to be a big deal right out of a quart oil bottle.  I dribbled a little, but nothing a paper towel doesn't remedy.

I like to make certain things in the bottom of any unit come out with the oil if they can.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

Ron Hill

Guys : If you use the drain plug on the bottom of the transmission (to drain the fluid), be sure that you replace the old washer with a new aluminum crush washer and torque it down properly !!   A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Hawk

I have one of those small Jabsco pumps that you put on your cordless drill. A small hose on one end of pump into the dip stick opening and a hose out the other end of the pump into a jar...turn on cordless drill and presto. Then put drill to reverse and replace the exact same amount back in......much smaller than a turkey baster.
Tom
Tom Hawkins - 1990 Fin Keel - #1094 - M35