Engine would not restart

Previous topic - Next topic

arthur

On my Catalina 34 MKII one Saturday my wife and I sat out for a sail.  Started the engine (Universal 35hp) and noticed all of my engine instruments were not working.  (Note: My fuel gage hadn't been working for a year, don't know how to fix.)   On way back to port we decided to drop anchor to have a late lunch, but engine would not start.  The winds were light and blowing such that sailing into my slip was feasible ( had done it last summer to show off) so we sailed into slip.  No problem.   My friend, Bruce with a Catalina 34 MKI, (Andiamo) came over and he being an airline mechanic had with him his volt meter and began to look for problem.  After three hours Saturday night (till midnight)  three hours Sunday till noon and another hour on Monday he had eliminated:  batteries, 20 amp circuit breaker, wiring and oil pressure gage.  (Note:  The engine would always start after I resset the 20 amp breaker and then the breaker would trip.)   Headed home and my assignment was to get a wiring diagram to see where the two wires from oil pressure gage went. (Downloaded a complete engine manual off internet from Torresen Marine.) Wires went to the fuel lift pump.  Bruce was at work and I at my boat and we communicated by pictures and email (have a phone with all the bells) and he instructed me to disconnect the wire from the fuel lift pump and the engine should start.  I did, it did and the 20 amp breaker didn't trip.  Bruce said I could run engine without pump and did one weekend while waiting for new pump to arrive.  New pump is now installed and engine runs like a top.   (Note:  Fuel lift pump wire had worn off it's insulation and was shorting out.)

Bruce is a GREAT friend!

So, if you're having a similar problem in future, it could be your fuel life pump.

Question:   Where is the 10 amp breaker?   Shows on wiring diagram, but could not find.

Ken Juul

Quote(Note:  Fuel lift pump wire had worn off it's insulation and was shorting out.)

Do you mean it was an internal wiring failure of the pump?

I believe the 10 amp breaker your are asking about is really a fuse in a plastic holder.  It is buried in the mess of wires between the alternator and the starter.

For future reference, the following manuals are in the manual section of the tech wiki....no need to go searching.

C34 Manuals

MkI Owners Manual

MkII Owners Manual

In Mast Furling Manual

Engine Manuals

Operators manual part 1 Operators manual part 2

M25xp Service Manual

Hurth Transmission

M25xp Parts List part 1 M25xp Parts List Part 2

Kubota D950 (M25xp) manual

Universal M25xp manual

Misc Manuals

Maxwell 500 Windlass Manual

Teleflex Tach manual part 1Teleflex Tach manual part 2

Richie Compass Compensation
List and Links to various on line manuals from Cruising world forum

Raymarine ST4000 Autopilot manual

Wood and Fiberglass repair techniques
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

arthur

The shorted wire was the external wire that supplies power to fuel lift pump.  It shorted on the copper fitting (about 3/4" long) that wire ran inside of going into the fuel lift pump.  The new pump does not have this copper fitting.

Thanks for in information on where the 10 amp breaker is located.   

Thanks for all the tech sites.

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Ken,
Just as a note, the m25xp manual on our website is actually for the m25xpb and I believe there are a few diferences. Is there a possibility we could get the manual for the standard m25xp?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Ken Juul

I'll correct the wiki.  The first M25xp manual is for the basic M25 engine.  The second (2 parts) are actually a parts diagram for the M25xpb.  It is still useful for getting the correct nomenclature, parts folks can translate to correct part number.  The Kubota manual is the basic D950 engine that all M25s are based on.  The last one is the M25 owners manual downloaded from the Universal Deisel site.

I've looked for a M25xp parts diagram, haven't found one.  If anyone has a link, please post I'll add to the wiki.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ron Hill

Guys : Arthur has a M35BC engine!!  The lift pump wiring is Completely differant than that of the M25XP engine.  His lift pump will only engage if the glow plugs are activated and after that if there is oil pressure!!  He also has a circuit breaker rather than a fuse.  His lift pump is also mounted on the rear of his engine.

Arthur : Great that you got rid of that copper fitting. 
Ron, Apache #788

SeaFever

Quote from: Ken Juul on June 15, 2010, 12:11:00 PM
The Kubota manual is the basic D950 engine that all M25s are based on.  The last one is the M25 owners manual downloaded from the Universal Deisel site.

Ken,

A quite comment. The M25XP uses the D950 block. Whereas the older M25 used the D850 block. I have a D850 parts list. Let me know if you need one to post for everyone to use. Cheers.
Mahendra, Sea Fever, Pearson 10M, #43, Oakland, CA

Ron Hill

Sea : The only C34s that use the D850 (M25) engine block, are the 1986s and a few of theearly 1987s. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Arthur, you might be interested in this thread about the way Mark II boats are wired, starting on page 4, and reply #52 which begins the detailed discussion.  You can start from page one, too!

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3347.45.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Arthur : I'm sure that you realize your "C" in the M35BC engine you have stands for Catalina!  and that the regular M35B engine has differant wiring diagrams for DC schematic for the M35B #39144 and the Catalina M35BC engines have a differant wiring diagram # 200360.  They are on pg 25 & 26 of the new Westerbeke Engine Operators revision.

If you missed the comment that Westerbeke has a new Feb 2010 updated Revision 2 Operators Manual, that you can get on line.  That update (from Jan 2000) is for the M3-20B, M25XPB, M35B, M40B and M50B engines.  I just ran myself off a copy and am going thru it for the changes.  
Ron, Apache #788

arthur

Thanks Ron,
The wiring diagram that was part of the Universal manual I found on Torrsen Marine site said it was for Catalina.  It's an older manual; Publication No. 200554, 1st Edition/January 2001.  We referred to the DC Electrical System, Wiring Diagram #200360 - Catalina Yachts and Wiring Schematic #200360 - Catalina Yachts, pages 96 and 97.   The manual is for:  M-25XPB, M35B and M-40B.  The web site is:  www.torresen.com

You guys are good!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: arthur on June 19, 2010, 06:23:01 AM
...  We referred to the DC Electrical System, Wiring Diagram #200360 - Catalina Yachts and Wiring Schematic #200360 - Catalina Yachts, pages 96 and 97.   The manual is for:  M-25XPB, M35B and M-40B. 

Arthur, those are the very wiring diagrams noted in Reply #47 in the link I gave in my last post.  Those two wiring diagrams are different, as described in the linked thread.  "Be careful out there!" :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."