Companionway Doors

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I'm curious....
Has anyone installed the Zarcor Companionway Doors on their boat? I've looked, touched, felt and almost tasted them while talking to John at all the various boat shows they attend.

I'm interested as we now live aboard, every time we go in and out we have to take the crib boards in and out. Yeah, lazy -- I know.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

No experience with the doors.  They look great closed, but look like the will be in the way when open.

When I was living aboard (we still use it) I cut a piece of 3/8" plexiglas that fits in the slot instead of the 2 hatch boards.  It allows more light into the cabin while keeping air conditioning or heat in.  I have a sunbrella cover that snaps onto the teak strip on the companionway slide, draps over the insert for privacy or if you want to keep the light out. You still have to be remove it to get in and out, but only one piece and it's light enough to do with one hand.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Stu Jackson

The major issue I recall that folks have with doors is that the bottom of the companionway is lower than the sides of the cockpit seats, so the doors only open 90 degrees.  I also recall seeing someone, perhaps in Mainsheet although not necessarily a C34, with a door design raised the bottom of the door section so that the doors could open and rest against the back of the cabintop so to be fully opened.  Depending on your situation that may or may not be a necessary feature.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Lance,
We also have a one piece tinted Plexiglas or lexan hatch board and we really like it. As mentioned, it allows light in the cabin even when the weather's bad and I believe it's easier to take in and out than the two hatch boards. We also have the sunbrella cover with snaps on top but just weighted on the bottom so that you can use the sunbrella cover without the hatchboard if you want to keep in the heat at night but want to go in and out easily. Also, when the cover is not needed, you can just roll it up and leave it in place just behind the traveler.

If I can dig up some pictures, I'll post them.

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Phil Spicer

I have thought about doors for a long time. How about a hatch board that is about 2" or 3" taller than the seats & doors above the hatch board. Yes, you still have a small board to remove, but only one & it would be light weight. The hatchboard would allow shorter doors that would swing open a full 180. The doors may need to be several inches above the seats because of the companion way gets wider from bottom to top. Cut a ship lap on doors & hatchboard to keep out rain. Thought about using 1/2" stock to keep down on weight & using take apart hinges to remove doors if needed.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.

Rick Allen

I have just about everything John from Zacor has invented on my boat already, (Stern seats, Cockpit table, cup holders etc...) so I'm sure I'll bite the bullitt and buy his companionway doors soon.  Perhaps during the next boat show!

We had a very nice set on our prior boat, a Watkins 27, they were wonderful and easily lifted out to store while underway.  Here is a picture:

More info about those custom doors and how they worked are at my website here: http://public.fotki.com/sailorick/yare_my_sailboat/yare_hatch_doors/

Rick
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Ron Hill

Guys : During the first summer I had the boat (1989) I made two 1/4" thick smokey lexan hatches that replicate the teak hatch boards.  Then I also made two teak framed screens that also replicate the wooden hatch board.

With those 3 sets I can use any combination : two screens, one screen one lexan or one board one screen/lexan. 
When we are at an unfamiliar dock/marina, it's nice to put in the lower screen and the top board and lock the boat when you're temporally away - but still have some ventilation.  The two lexans are nice to be "closed up", but still have light.  The thin lexans are stored under the port side salon cushions.  Over the past 20+ years the lexans have become scratched, but all the better for privacy so I don't worry about the scratches.  When we leave the boat at anchor (no T-storm likely) it's both screens or a lower lexan and an upper screen.

The 3 sets give you alot of combinations.  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

chuck53

About the doors getting in the way, I see they make the doors with lift off hinges which makes it really easy to remove the doors when you don't need it.  Quicker than removing slats.

Rick Johnson

I realize it's a little different, but I really like this design.  I pulled the pictures off of yachtworld.com, so I have always wondered if the owner felt it was a good design after it was installed?

Cheers,

Rick
Rick Johnson, #1110, 1990, s/v Godspeed, Lake Travis, TX

chuck53

That's a pretty good looking companionway door.
But I think I still like the doors with lift off hinges better.  When out on the water, you can get them completely out of the way.  People often like to sit with their backs leaning against that bulkhead facing the rear and you can't do that with the doors open.

Ted Pounds

Actually it looks to me like those are lift-off hinges...
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

They are kind of pricy but Cruising Concepts has them for sale.  Picture on the companionway door page shows the door interference problem.  www.cruisingconcepts.com
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Momentum M

Lance, you might be interested in this posting....maybe you missed it since it's under "screen".

You'll see a few pictures of my installation.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4523.0.html
Serge & Carole Cardinal
C 34 Mk II 2005 - 1719
Wing Keel
Fresh water, Ontario Lake, Canada/Usa
On Hard from Oct to May

sail4dale

I have the Tc10018 type door and really love it.  I lift them off and stow them in the rear cabin during the sail.  They do need re-oiling the teak but not a bad way to go.
Cat34 Mk II True Luff #1582  2001
San Pedro, CA (Port of Los Angeles)

mtullier

Doors
Mike