Shower drain pump

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

My question is probably solved by me; but, I wanted confirmation. The pump that drains the shower pan, is that a standard water pump -- or do I have to get a specific type pump?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Craig Illman

Lance - Unless you're going to pre-filter the water, you need to have something that will handle debris from the shower. I think you want a diaphram pump.

Craig

Stu Jackson

You NEED a diaphragm pump, but not to filter the water but to provide the "lift" from the shower sump to the pump.  "Lift" (suction lift or head) is the engineering term for being able to suck water from a lower to a higher point in space.   Impeller pumps cannot and do not provide the suction necessary.

Look around the corner under your head sink and if necessary use a mirror and look at the pump.  Take a picture.  Then compare it to the water pump under your galley.  Two different animals.  Then look in a West Marine catalog and see the different pumps.

Recently Ron Hill mentioned somewhere that he'd replaced his old noisy diaphragm pump with a quieter type of pump, but I forget just which pump he selected.  Perhaps he'll chime in here.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Lance Jones

Thanks guys. I was looking at a pump from Whale called the Gulper 220. Supposed to be very quiet. Any feed back from anyone who's had experience with this company?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

From my experience, Whale seems to be the standard when it comes diaphragm pumps.  I think the original is a Whale as is the manual bilge pump.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

yonar

I replaced it with this one. I bought it about a year ago from Northeast Marine Electronics.

JABSCO 37202-2012 BILGE / SHOWER DRAIN PUMP 3.4 GPM
YOUR PRICE :: $142.00
3 In Stock
Manufacturer: Jabsco
Manufacturer Part No: 37202-2012
Turk Yonar
1989 C34 Hull # 858
Tradewinds
Long Beach, CA

Tom Soko

Lance,
I installed a Whale Gulper (I can't remember the model #) in my C36 for the shower sump pump about 10 years ago, and it works perfectly (sooooo much better than the Rule bilge pump that came installed in the shower sump).  It sucks up water, soap scum, hair, everything.  It has never clogged.  I highly recommend it.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Lance Jones

Tom,
Thanks for the info. How loud is it?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Stu Jackson

Lance & Tom,

Before you continue with Tom's suggestion, please recognize that the C36 and C34 MAY have different configurations for their shower sumps.

I do NOT know where the C36 shower sump pump is located.

I DO know that the C34 shower sump pump is located well ABOVE the sump itself, which requires a pump that can pull water UP a distance like the diaphragm pumps are designed to do.

If, again IF, the pump on a C36 is level or almost level with the sump, that pump may NOT work on a C34.

Tom, can you tell us where your C36 shower sump pumps are located in relation to the sump pans? (I just browsed over to the C36 website and danged if I can't find the manuals.)
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Tom Soko

Stu and Lance,
The shower sump pump in the C36 is located about a foot above the level of the shower pan.  The Gulper has more than enough power.  Lance, the pump is not super quiet, but I don't see the noise as a problem.  It is a lot quieter than an electric head, and as far as I know, most people do not take showers in the middle of the night!  I really don't see noise level as a factor in choosing a shower sump pump.
Tom Soko
"Juniper" C400 #307
Noank, CT

Ron Hill

Guys, Susan & D.Gill : I've been following this thread with great interest !!

I've been asked that same question many times and always answered that Catalina installed a diaphragm pump in a C34 MKI for SOME reason?!  I left that answer ride for many years until a close friend asked it again.  I always suspected that there was a $ sign involved somewhere, knowing Frank !!

So I called Catalina and asked them why a diaphragm pump vrs. a rotary pump ??  The answer was simple.
1.  The rotary pumps of the C34 MKI vintage were more expensive than the diaphragm pumps - that were able to lift the water that height!! 
2.  The newer rotary pumps now can do the job (have enough head[lift]) and are cheaper and much quieter !!

As far as the diaphragm pump being able to take care of hair/fuzz/junk better than a rotary pump, is a mute point.  Because the antiphon/no back valve in that same line (before the pump) gets clogged by almost anything!  When it gets clogged the shower water flows back into the shower pan(head floor) !!

I wrote a Mainsheet article on a shower line filter a few years back. 

I still have my diaphragm pump, spray silicone on the diaphragm annually and it's affectionally known on APACHE as -- "the growler"!   A few thoughts   :wink:

Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

Thanks Ron for the insight. The Whale Gulper is also a diaphragm pump.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ron Hill

Lance : The easyest way to replace that shower pump, is to make the extra storage I recommended under the teak slatted seat! (MK I only)  You can choose either pump rotary or diaphragm which ever is the least cost !!
With a large (8") Beckson type port you'll be able to really get at the old pump and easily install the new one.  A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Lance Jones

That was another of my early projects and it does make access so much easier. Thanks!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Lance Jones

Replaced the drain pump with the Whale Gulper 220!!! Woo-hoo. Fairly easy working through the access panel under the head sink AND through the inspection port I placed under the teak seat between the head and sink. It runs so much quieter than the original pump and evacuates the water more quickly. It is also a diaphragm pump so no worries about waste water clogging it up.

Now, are the newer water pressure system pumps quieter than the OEM in my 88? Sounds like another project.....
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622