holding tank fitting

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

has anyone ever cut a new hole and installed another fitting on top of the holding tank in order to inspect the tank, install a monitor, or to run another vent line forward?  If so do you remember what you used, I would like to install a 1" barbed elbow on top of the tank and run another vent line as others have done.  88 C34, it has a black tank.  Thank you Bob
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

tonywright

I put in a float monitor this year. I used a regular hole saw with no problems.

Tony
Tony Wright
#1657 2003 34 MKII  "Vagabond"
Nepean Sailing Club, Ottawa, Canada

Bobg

I reread my post and didn't make myself clear, I meant what kind of fitting did you use, after you cut the hole, I see you can order glued fittings on the net, but I wonder if that would work. and Tony what kind of float monitor did you use, thanks
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

tonywright

I used this sensor. It has a gasket that does not require any adhesive.

http://www.wemausa.com/tank_sensors/tank_level_sensors.htm#Holding_Tank_Level_Sensors

It is connected to the New Provience Marine monitoring system.

Tony
Tony Wright

John Langford

Tony,
Do you recall the length of the WEMA holding tank monitor that you ordered for your MkII?

BTW, if you have any update on performance, I would appreciate seeing it.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Roland Gendreau

I installed a high level alarm in my holding tank, however the sensor is attached to the top of the tank via a couple of screws and a gasket.

I would not suggest glueing a fitting to the tank, in case the fitting cracked or broke off.  I would suggest using a threaded fitting, and using a pipe tap to thread the hole you make in the tank. As I recall, the tank material is a good 3/16 or 1/4 inch thick , enough for a threaded connection. 

The additional tank vent hose is a project I would like to do also this winter.

Where are you planning to run the additional vent hose to?

Thanks

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

tonywright

John

As I recall it was the 8 inch sensor. It has worked really well so far, and gives us a lot of confiednce in knowing how full the tank is getting. There was a bit of smell after installation for a couple of weeks, then I discovered that the screws were not tight on the gasket collar. No more problems after tightening them.

Tony
Tony Wright