Replacing Adler-Barbour Refrigerator with Walk-Thru Transom & Link to A/B MANUAL

Previous topic - Next topic

SailDan

Weal Sea's (Catalina factory installed) Adler-Barbour refrigerator finally gave up after 15 years; no complaints -- gave us great service.
My problem: I've removed the aft cabin bulkhead panel and can seen the compressor by looking over the stern water tank. It is situated immediately behind the the small closet in the aft cabin and below the "SMALL" cockpit lazzerette (with wooden floor) on the starboard side of the boat. (The 1994 C-34 with a walk-thru transom has a single lazzerette on the SB side and a propane storage locker on the port side of the walk-thru passage). 
Question: How do I access the compressor to replace it? Has anyone done this?
The only option I see is removing the stern water tank. Wow not looking forward to that; not sure how to even approach it.  I don't believe cutting out the floor in the SB lazzerette is a good option:  I am not sure I could squeeze through the hole or even remove the compressor through the hole.
Any suggestions?
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Ken Juul

A call to the factory may be the easiest way to find out.

Another option is to leave the old one in place and put the new compressor in a more accessable place.

My Mk 1.5 has the walk thru, but the stbd lazerette does not have a floor, it's just a big hole.  Access is difficult.  My original battery charger was mounted to the rear face of the aft hanging locker.  When it failed I was able to remove it by tieing a cord around the wires and taking the bolts out one at a time.  When it came loose I was able to pull it far enough up to disconnect the wiring and remove it.  The new battery charger is installed under the Navsta! 

Is it possible to remove the floor and hire a teenager small enough to comfortably fit in the lazerette to disconnect the old?
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Ken Heyman

Are you certain that you can't get at it by removing the propane box and shelf in the stern lazarette?

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Roland Gendreau

I replaced the refrigerator on my 1992 walk through.  After removing the aft cabin wall, removal of the water tank is not difficult.  Reach underneath and remove the drain hose clamp and hose. Remove the vent hose.. Slide the tank out, moving the control cables and wires to the side. It is fairly easy.

Once the tank is out access to the compressor is straightforward.

We replace our AB unit with a SeaFrost unit.    The SeaFrost compressor comes with an enclosure that protects it from the elements as well as salt spray from the fenders that you drop down on top of it.

The SeaFrost evaporator was custom built for my refrigerator. It fits against the aft wall of the ice box on stand offs. I had to also get the tubing from the compressor to the evaporator extended as the standard kit was too short.

All in all we are pleased with the SeaFrost.

The A-B unit would probably be easier to replace like for like, but I like the enclosure protection that the seafrost unit compressor comes with.

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

SailDan

Gosh guys, thanks for the rapid responses and great suggestions.
I am going to try Roland Gendreau (Gratitude #1183) suggestion first since he said he had replaced the refrigeration unit on his 1992 C-34 with a walk-through transom.  From his descriptions, I get the impression that removing the stern water tanks is not that difficult.    I have not decided on a brand of refrigerator.  I am leaning to an AB since, as noted by you folks, it is a "direct replacement".  However, I will check around.  I promise to let you all know how the project goes.
Thanks again, Ken, Ken & Roland.
Dan
(Weal Sea #1289)

P.S. -- Just sailed Weal Sea down from her winter storage harbor at St. Joseph, Michigan to her new summer slip in Michigan City, Indiana. (We are not longer in Hammond, IN)  It was a beautiful day on Lake Michigan: clear skies but cool (64-68 F).  Unfortunately, the wind was only 3-4 kts out of the SE and we had to motor-sail all the entire 30 nm south. Still it was a GREAT day to be on the water again. "Life is good, especially on a sailboat"
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

SailDan

Here is an update on the AB refrig. as promised.
1. Received a personal MSG from Robart (C-34, Ten Times, #1279) who had a similar problem to mine in 2006. He found out it was the Controller Module on the compressor and replaced it for $290, vs $1200 for Evaporator & Compressor.  I called Defender, they said 2009 price for the Controller is now $700! Oops.
2. I called "Dometic" (800-234-8778) which now own rights to Weaco / Adler-Barbour marine refrigerators. I  spoke to Jacob Prince (engineer/technician?).  He was VERY helpful and knowledgable. He suggested I try several a problem-solving tests before I ordered anything.  His 1st suggestion was to test the thermostat by bypassing it using a jumper wire to see if the compressor turned on. Wow... would you believe it, it started up immediately! Pulling the thermostat, I found that there was significant corrosion of the internal components and that the wire connectors fell apart when I remove the unit from inside of the refrig.
3. I telephoned Dometic back and got the thermostat part # = 4060204. Since Dometic is a wholesale suppler only, they suggested I call West Marine to order the part...  I telephoned Defender instead.
4. Telephoned Defender (800-628-8225).  They said they have had a number of orders for this thermostat in the past. Current price: $18.99 + shipping.  BIG DIFFERENCE between $1200, $700 or $290.  I ordered it and am waiting anxiously for its delivery so we can have some cold beer!
Dan
Dan
Weal Sea
1994 #1289

Stu Jackson

I received a request from the C36 message board for a copy of the A/B manual.  I have scanned a copy of my manual into a PDF but it's a pretty large file.  The C36 folks found one, ADLER BARBOUR MANUAL, here: http://www.fujiyachts.net/manuals/Adler-Barbour%20IO%20Manual.pdf

Obviously, one of the things on the troubleshooting menu is: check the thermostat.  Sorry I missed that in your issue, Dan.

I would suggest that each of you record the nameplate data on your cold machines for future reference.

Here, also, is a 2004 discussion about controllers from co.com.  WAECO has been replaced and some of these phone numbers may not work anymore, but the Miller Marine alternative may still be operational.

C:\Stu\boat\C34\Cold Machine References.doc

COLD MACHINE REFERENCES

Original post:

Submitted by Terry of Semi-ah-moo on 03/24 at 07:36AM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: Cold machine operation
"Gary, I need your diagnostic help. Our 1991 P42 has two side-by-side AB cold machines. I normally keep them running all the time. The fridge runs fine but I noticed the other day when I came aboard that the freezer was cycling. The fan would come on for a few seconds, the compressor would try to start, then the fan would come back on. The cold plate was still freezing. I shut the unit off and let it rest for 30 minutes. It seemed to cycle just fine after I turned it back on. I then turned it off until I could determine whether something was failing. A skipper friend told me that the control unit was probably going out. Thanks. Terry"

Replies:

Submitted by Gary of Clinton, CT on 03/24 at 09:11AM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: module
"Terry, If the ColdMachine has the model# 102N3030 or 102N3031 Danfoss control module, it's most likely the problem. Turning it off and back on resets it, but it will only happen again. Replace it with a WAECO model AB3016, which can be ordered from our Customer Care dept. at 860-664-4911. "

Submitted by Terry of Semi-ah-moo on 03/24 at 01:16PM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: Gary, thanks for the speedy response...
"The model number on both machines is DCM-12L. Does this make a difference in the type of control module? Terry"

Submitted by Gary of Clinton, CT on 03/25 at 05:50AM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: DCM-12
"DCM-12 indicates you have a ColdMachine, but there have been several different modules used through the years. The problem you describe is normally associated with the BD3 module, 102N3030 or 3031. The AB3016 module will work on any pre-digital ColdMachine."

Submitted by Terry of Semi-ah-moo on 03/25 at 08:24AM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: Gary, thanks again for your help...
"Did I talk to you yesterday? I first need to ohm out the machine to make sure that it is a module problem? A replacement module is $290 plus S&H? Do you have rebuilt or remarketed units that cost less? Thanks. Terry"

Submitted by Gary of Clinton, CT on 03/26 at 08:05AM regarding Hunter 42:
Title: modules
"Terry, Sorry, we don't rebuild modules. Miller Marine in Jacksonville repairs older modules, models 102N3015 and earlier. If you have a 102N3030 or 31 it is not repairable. Miller Marine can be reached at 904-388-3690. I believe repairs run around $100."
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."