Battery Charger Problem

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

I have the older True Charge 20 battery charger that came with my boat. I found out it isn't charging.  :cry4` The box is warm to the touch; but, none of the power or charging lights are lit. Does anyone know if this has a fuse and if so, where? Thanks in advance. Also, Stu I already checked Wiki. They have a great review of these type chargers but no info about that.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

There is a fuse inside on one of the circuit boards.  It's easy enough to open up even the the warning on the case says not to.  You'll see the fuse right away.  When mine broke I checked the fuse and it was OK.  I ended up calling Xantrex and they sent a replacement charger at significant discount.  It would have been free, but I was way out of warranty.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Ken Juul

Xantrex has all their manuals on line  http://www.xantrex.com/support.asp

Symptom Indicator lights do not turn on, or remain on, when charger is connected to an AC receptacle.
Symptom Indicator lights continue to blink when charger connected to battery. Charging indicator light does not turn on continuously.

Possible Cause Solution
1. No power at AC receptacle - Ensure that power is available at receptacle
2. Defective wiring - Replace wiring
3. Open fuses in charger - Have charger serviced by qualified person

Might want to give them a call, if it is out the warrenty period you might be able to change the fuse yourself.
Also check the output wire connections, the screw in my ground wire had vibrated loose giving me intermittant charging.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken and Ted.

What type/size fuse does it take? I did check and power IS there. It just doesn't get to the lights and then to the batteries. The charger is warm, as if it is charging. However, there are no indicator lights showing.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ted Pounds

You can change the fuse yourself.  It's one of those little cylindrical ones (like the old auto fuses).  I don't remember the size but once you open her up you can take it out and match it up at the local hardware store.  By the way, mine behaved the same as yours (except I don't think it heated up???).  The fuse was not blown (you see that right away through the glass) and that's why I got a new one direct from the factory.  Also, Ken is right, if it's under warranty don't open it up just send it back.
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Stu Jackson

And if it's out of warranty, and you can see the fuse, and it simply "looks" like the fuse is OK, replace it anyway first to see if that's the fix before you rip it out and send it in.  We've had reports over the years that even if fuses looked fine they may not be fine.  Check the fuse contacts inside, too.

So, give it a try and see if that works, ya got nothin' to lose.  I would if it was my boat and charger, it's a basically very good, if not superior, unit - see John Nixon's charger evaluation.  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4352.0.html
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Michael Shaner

Lance, like Stu says, the fuse may look good. Get out your meter and test continuity across the fuse...might save you a trip to the hardware store...
Michael & Alison Shaner

Lance Jones

I love this forum!!!!!! Great comments all!

This wanders over to this solar charging questions:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4931.0.html   [Ed. - Stu]
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622