Fuel tank sender

Previous topic - Next topic

kmorton16@home.com

How does one gain access to the fuel tank gage sender on a Catalina 34 MK II?
Ken Morton - Trident # 1300

Ron Hill

Look in the port side cockpit locker.  There should be a Bexon screw out plate in the "floor".  Under it should be the fuel sending unit and fuel cutoff, both mounted on the top of the tank. Another way to get at it is to take off the port side pannel in the aft cabin.  ronphylhill@erols.com     ;)

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

captran

is this a common problem.  the dealer replaced the sender on my  recently purchased 97 model.  failed within 3 weeks.  should I replace again or live with it?  what is the best source for the part?

Stu Jackson

Try the search in the Message Board, type in fuel, go to May 22, 2001, question by BandG, many answers are there.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Ken : I believe that the life of fuel senders are like light bulbs.  ronphylhill@erols.com

Ron, Apache #788
Ron, Apache #788

captaingary

If you want a sending unit that will last check into replacing with the mechanical unit in the tank. There is an electrical adaptor that fits on top outside the tank. I was replacing units every 6 months until I found this. It has been on for 4 years with no trouble. The problem with the regular unit is that the resistor is inside the tank and it is what fails. With the mechanical unit, you have no electrical components inside the tank.
Gary Schneider
Windmill #1231
Long Beach  CA

kmorton16@home.com

I opened the inspection port on the port side of the cockpit locker and the cutoff valve for fuel is the only item there. The sending unit  is aft with no inspection port. How can the sending unit be changed?
Ken Morton - 1300

Ted Pounds

Ken,

Remove the bulkhead at the foot of the aft berth.  It's held on with about 10 screws.  That will give you access to the whole tank.  You will also need to have the inspection port open to help maneuver the sending arm out as it is over a foot long.  The sending unit is easily idenfied as a plate on top of the tank with 2 wires attached. It's held on with 5(?) screws. good luck.

Ted Pounds
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

PLKennedy

I tried to take mine out last summer.  Of the five hex screws holding the unit in place, three were easy, and two were almost impossible to remove.  I ended up buying a very small rachet and socket set.  God luck.

Peter