92 Cat Tales #1203

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott Lee

We are going to look at a 1992 Cat Tales #1203, in Alameda tomorrow.  Priced at $72,000, seems a bit high, does have new sails, and rigging replaced.  It also has two heating systems, that we don't really care about.
Anyone have any recommendation when looking at this boat.  Does anyone know of a good surveyor in our area?

Thanks for your help we are hoping to make a purchase on a 34 soon.

Jon Schneider

If you do a search on this forum, you should find lots of advice already written (I know I've written on the subject once or twice).  While $72k, might be a tad high, you do need to factor in that many boats of this age won't have new sails and rigging, so you have to deduct, say, $8k for the two ($3k for the rigging).  If I were you, though, I'd really check what they mean by "new" by asking to see receipts.  A lot of people claim three year old upgrades as new.  Those upgrades are surely better than 15 year old original parts, but not quite the same as "new."
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Stu Jackson

You'd be surprised how a good heating system can become a necessity in this neck of the woods.  I'll walk you through it.  For a good surveyor, and the ONLY person I would EVER recommend, is Peter Minkwitz in Oakland.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Rick Allen

I would second the Peter Minkwitz recommendation.  He is top notch.
Rick Allen, C34 IA Commodore
Former owner of "PainKiller", 1988 C34 MKI, Sail#746, std. rig, wing keel.

Scott Lee

Our offer was accepted on the Cat Tales boat (although we're going to change the name!) and we feel we negotiated a fair deal.  We're going to sail it this weekend and if that goes well it's on to the surveyor etc. and thanks for the referral for Peter Minkwitz  as we will definitely get in contact with him.  We had also heard good things about Joseph Rogers from Santa Cruz also.

Hopefully all will go well as we look forward to getting to know all of you and tapping into all of your great sailing expertise!  Thanks for all of your advice!

Scott and Sharon  (SANDS)

Jon Schneider

Congrats and welcome!  I looked her up on yachtworld.  She looks beautiful.  I love the upgraded battery switch on the panel.  And the woodwork looks perfect.  This boat looks like it was taken care of with pride.
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

Scott Lee

Thanks for the welcome Jon!  We're pretty excited about the prospects of owning our own boat now and we're looking forward to being part of the group!  Oh, and we bought it for $65,000...what do you think?

SANDS

Jon Schneider

I was actually almost brave enough to publicly guess $65k (believe it or not).  I think you nailed it with your description of a "fair deal."  It looks like (pending survey) a fantastic vessel... one you'll be able to enjoy from day one, and that's worth a hell of a lot.  I've owned other boats before, and you know what they say about a boat owner's two happiest days being the days he buys and sells his boat?  Well, I don't think that's true for C34 owners.  While we're thrilled on the day we buy one, I think the days get better everyday after that.  And then, from what others have said, the saddest day is the day you sell her.  So, you're blessed to have found a great boat. 
Jon Schneider
Greenport, NY USA

rirvine

I used Joseph Rogers from Santa Cruz.  He did a very good survey.

Ray

Scott Lee

I've heard Joseph Rodgers is good too, thanks!  What do surveyors typically charge?

Stu Jackson

In 1998 I paid about $375 to Peter.  You SHOULD be there during the survey, you'll learn a lot.  I gave Peter a lot fo the older (1998 era) C34 material, so he knows the boat very well, surveyed two of them for me.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Scott Lee

Thanks Stu!  I definitely plan on being there for the survey.   :thumb:  -Scott

Scott Lee

All systems are go!!!  The survey came out great with just some minor things like replacing expired old flares and fire extinguishers so we're really happy and can't wait to get her out sailing!  We're currently having the bottom painted and replacing the zincs and having the "Cat Tales" name taken off and waxed etc....cha-ching cha-ching!  :)  We should have it back in the water later next week or so just in time for the holiday weekend. 

Thanks for all of your support and look forward to staying in touch!

Scott & Sharon

Ron Hill

Scott : Congratulations on being the new owner of a great boat! 
Now you need to review all of the projects and look at the Mainsheet tech notes as there a wealth of information in these documents.  I'd guess that 99% of all of your questions have already been encountered and answered. 
The factory is still in business and this Message Board is a great support group of owners. You might consider joining a C34 fleet with other owners so you can learn your new even C34 better.  We'd also like you to join the C34IA !
A few thoughts.   :thumb:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Scott & Sharon

CONGRATULATIONS AND WELCOME.  JOIN THE C34 IA, too.

Do a search on "weblog" and read some very good information.  One of the "better" ones is this one, from Steve Lyle, who became our technical editor for many years:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,663.0.html

What you'll find is that there are many C34-specific issues that we will be more than happy to help you with, we'll even help you "do your homework."

Read this one, too: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,2629.0.html