C34 MkII at Pacific Strictly Sail 2008 (w/ C375 flix added)

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephen Butler

Attended the Pacific Strictly Sail show and there was a C34 Mk 2 on display!  Some interesting "evolutions" from earlier models. What I thought really interesting was the surprise voiced by the local dealer staff that a C34 was even being shown, and also, the high level of interest that was being shown in the model by show visitors.  Of course the number of sales orders and the cost of build will ultimately determine whether the C34 turns into the C340, or simply disappears, but it was an "upper" to see one at the show and to hear the interest.  Just a thought. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Craig Illman

A C34 MK2 is about the only thing I'd trade my MK1.5 for. I don't want anything bigger or smaller. Wouldn't take a Hunter, Beneteau or Dufour the same size.

ok, I'm biased!

Craig

Stephen Butler

Craig, I completely agree.  When one looks at the newer/larger models, and assuming one is still utilizing the boat the same, with 2 aboard, I cannot see much reason to change.  Yes, newer/bigger is certainly nice to walk through, but for actually sailing?....Not my own cup of tea. 
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

Jack Hutteball

A friend in our marina has a new C387 that he took delivery of in November last year.  He has been aboard our boat a couple of times.  His comment was that he wished he had bought a C34.  Feels his boat is too big for just he and his wife.  Of course... we are all biased!
Jack
Jack and Ruth Hutteball
Mariah lll, #1555, 2001
Anacortes, Washington

Wayne

I was at strictly sail, too.  I know the folks at Farallon (Catalina dealership) are really hoping the 34 sticks around because it is a really good seller for them.
I checked out the Beneteaus (bad case of the uglies below--I really hate the boxy new interior) and the Jeanneaus (which I have always liked, but I think they have needed to make cheaper to be competitive).  Came away feeling better than ever about my 34. 
I picked it up from the yard on Saturday after having the bottom painted.  Don't know how much of it is just in my head, but it sure seemed to be moving along quickly at moderate throttle, and glided a long way after I shifted into neutral . . . Can't wait to take it out for a sail!
2006 MKII Hull # 1762
San Francisco, Ca

Joe Kern

Wayne - I just had the Jenny Jewel's bottom done for the first time in 2.5 years.  Even with regular bottom scrubbing from time to time in the summers I was shocked how much of a difference the new bottom (and clean prop) made.  I am now going 6.5 knots at 2100 rpm where before I was lucky to get that at 2700 rpm.  Sailing speeds are way up too.

Joe
Joe Kern
2005 Catalina 34MKII
Hull # 1717
Merritt Island, Fl

Stu Jackson

Nice boat show.  Here's a picture of the new C375 (Catalina 375) and C34, side-by-side.  The C375 appears to be a lot less "boxy" than the C350. 
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

The factory got the idea from owners of C42s and other boats, nice stern pulpit with outboard bracket.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Helm instruments.  Call me crazy, but unless you're a professional basketball player there's no way you could see over that package of electronics.  While we prefer to "keep it simple" on our boat, I know people love and some depend on this array, but I think it takes away from the sailing.  First there's the plastic to look around or over, then there's a dodger with plastic to look through... (That's Cory on the left, former Fleet 1 Captain Greg Sherwood's wife, Cathy, on the right.)

Stu Jackson

starboard locker storage looks pretty good, except for what falls between the two shelves goes???

Stu Jackson

For the life of me, I can't figure out why Catalina keeps installing these cheap clam cleats for mainsheets.  We've replaced ours with a sheet stopper that we leave open when sailing.  It gives a better fairlead to the winch.  The little red thingy on the clam cleat always had a tendency to break.

Other than that, the hardware and sizes looked first rate.

Stu Jackson

galley shots  The offset sink looks a bit odd, not too hard to get used to, though

What's dumb?  Take a detailed look at the galley sink backsplash.  There's a clear area between the top of the teak edge and the bottom of the splash - just where water would go!  Why bother if it's not a complete barrier???  Details...

Stu Jackson

Access to aft of the engine is through a lift up panel in the aft cabin.  You can get to the stuffing box, but it's not as easy as on our C34s.

The access to the oil dipstick, one of my favorite "check out the new boat and if you can't get to it, walk away" items is through a small lift up hatch with a finger hole underneath the companionway stairs.  Not bad, kinda like our starboard side aft cabin little doors.

Jon Schneider

Wow, regarding the autopilot picture, wouldn't it be nice to have the inside skin of the hull (does the whole below-waterline part of the hull inside qualify as the bilge?) so nice and clean?  

Regarding the 375, I actually really like her lines.  Her sheer line with what appears to be a gentle rise in the aft section (maybe it's just the camera angle) hearkens back to much more traditional look.  I also like the portlight arrangement.  I've never really liked the look our two deadlights (a little too slick and not useful).  That said, I like our arrangement with three opening portlights better than the original C36 with only two opening portlights.  The 375 seems to have the best of both worlds: a large deadlight for light and lots of opening portlights fore and aft.  I wonder if CY is going to contemporize the 42 next, or what its next new model will be?  

I'm not sure if it hurts CY's sales, but it's funny to me that, Stu, your picture of the 375 is the best one I've seen.  The ones on CY's site make it seem like a trailer home.  

Also see this with more photos of the C375: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,4048.0.html
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA