displacement of our c34's

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Heyman

Out boat was hauled today. I was told that based on the crane's scale the boat weighed over 16,000 pounds! They subtracted the weight of the crane's bar and straps to get to that number(aprox. 700 #s) The water tanks were nearly full as well as the fuel tank. Other weight would include the usual anchors, sails, cushions & assorted seasonal paraphernalia. The Catalina manual indicates that "displacement" is just under 12,000#s with a standard keel.
I had the same "overages" with my c27.
Are the yards readings possible? I can't get anywhere near that weight starting at 12,000#s & adding back the extras. If I have that much water absorbed into my fiberglass (i.e blisters & delamination) I assume I'd be sitting a bit low in the water. The boat sails and performs just fine.

Thanks in advance,

Ken
Ken Heyman
1988 c34 #535
"Wholesailor"
Chicago, Il

Ron Hill

Ken : Back about 1990/91 the was a "ho hum" blivet in the Mainsheet that said something like "BTW the draft of the C34 wing keel is really 4'3" .  We missed the design goal of 3'9" !!"
I went down and immediately measured my boat (on the hard) and the article was correct.  I'd suspected that anyway.

So I started to ponder and NOT being a marine architect I started to think about known items such as length, width, keel ballast wt. and decided that there was only one item that would cause that hull to sit lower in the water - it was much heavier than  designed!! 
I've always believed that the C34 displacement is about 15000 lbs NOT 12500.  So you're weighing in at over 16000 with full water, fuel and assorted junk sounds about right to me for a 1988 C34!!   :roll:
Ron, Apache #788

steve stoneback

Several years ago I went with the mover to haul Grasmere from Minnesota to South Dakota on a trailer. The trailer had a title weight of 3,950. We stopped at an elevator and had her weighed.  Boat and trailer weighed 19,550, so 19,550 minus the 3,950 trailer weight, she weighed 15,600  The water tanks were empty but the fuel tank was about full.  The boat was loaded with many extras, 4 batteries, spinnaker, AC, dodger, bimini and just about every other gadget you can think of.  I know the grain elevator scale is accurate so 12,500 can't be right.  600 to 700 pounds of extras sounds about right.  I think about 15,000 is much more accurate.
steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

David Sanner

Looks like the same for the c42 but it's only about 10%.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQK/is_4_10/ai_n14813621

But 15,000 pounds... that's over 25% more than Catalina is listing.
( That makes a j/105 half the weight - with half the room below ;)  )

And knocks the keel/displacement down from nearly 42% to 33%...
I guess the upside could be a stronger boat... ?

Is it common for other builders to publish the displacement so much less
than the real figure?  5 or even 10% is one thing but 25% ... wow.

David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

John Langford

This is a fascinating thread. I find our MkII a handful to stop at a dock if I have made a less than perfect landing. I say to friends that if this is what it takes to stop a 12,000 lb vessel then this is as big as I can manage. I am also amazed that it rides at 3-4" above its load water line and seems unaffected by more chain,water and books. Maybe this is really a much larger vessel than advertised!
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

steve stoneback

I think it is pretty clear the early models weigh in the neighborhood of 15,000 lbs.  I am curious if the late models weigh the same or if construction materials and design have lightened them up, or possibly made them heavier.  Does anyone have an accurate weight of a late model mk-II?
steve
Steve Stoneback
Grasmere
1989 #918
Lake Oahe Pierre, SD

Stephen Butler

Displacement of our 1990, C34, standard fin keel, standard rig, integral swim platform, with full tanks, ground tackle, ob and dingy, tools, spares, food, etc., but without crew, is 16,728 pounds.  We have seen this measurement twice and both were within 2%.   The C34 is a BIG 34 footer, which performs well and is able to carry the equipment and stores that a couple needs for cruising.  BTW, our C34 floats above her factory waterline stripe.
Steve & Nancy
Wildflecken II
1990, #1023

ohana34

About time, I wasn't saying anything, but our 1991 weighed in at just under 17k last year at the haulout for bottom paint with full cruising gear.
I feel better now.
Jim

Mike_S

I know it's been a while since there's been any posts to this thread, but I just bought a 1990 Catalina 34 and during the survey they measured 19,000 pounds!  My wife and I were expecting to open a compartment or storage locker and find lead, but every thing's been really clean so far.  The boat came with a few extras, but we certainly don't have 7,000 pounds extra ... 

Cheers,
Mike

Jon Schneider

Mike, is your boat (or was it when you bought it) in the water year round?  I have a theory (completely unbelabored by fact that fiberglass does take on some water weight, and this action would be aggravated by never having a chance to "dry out" in the off season.
Jon Schneider
s/v Atlantic Rose #1058 (1990)
Greenport, NY USA

Roc

Was the scale calibrated correctly??  Was there tare weight from something that wasn't subtracted out??  Just some thoughts.....
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

wind dancer

I think there are a number of factors:

-- the factory came in a bit higher than expected
-- weight doesn't include any fluids
-- weight doesn't include any canvas, sails, or lines
-- weight doesn't include any personal objects or optional equipment
-- the hull and deck gain weight from absorbing water over time

It would be very interesting to weigh a brand new c34 before any sails/canvas/accessories were added.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Craig Illman

I still doubt it would be 11,900# as the sales brochure suggests....

Craig

wind dancer

Quote from: Craig Illman on March 06, 2007, 12:04:08 PM
I still doubt it would be 11,900# as the sales brochure suggests....

Craig

No, but 12,900 would be in the ballpark.
Jay Guard, 1996 Catalina 380, #3, "Aquila", Seattle

Mike_S

Well, the surveyor was quite surprised when the yard told him how much, so he went to check the reading himself.  Then he asked the yard foreman how recently the lift had been calibrated.  The fellow said that it was right on ...

Also interesting, is that the previous owner had a survey done on the boat in 2000, and at that time it weighed in at 16,000# and the same comment was made then ... that it seemed heavy for the stated weight.

So, 7 years later my boat has put on another 3,000#.  Hmmm ... didn't realize my boat was like me ... getting heavier with age!   :D

Wonder if I decide to go racing whether I'd get credit for being so, >ahem<, portly?

Cheers,
Mike