motor mounts installation

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed Shankle

Worked on installing the Vetus K-50's this weekend, and I have a question for those of you that have previously done it.
I followed the procedure of cutting out the old mount and replacing with the new Vetus, one at a time instead of lifting the engine off the mounts.
The new forward port mount compressed more than the other 2 I installed(3 is as far as I got yesterday). It's about a 5mm compression and the specs say max is 4mm. It seems like the engine is either heavier on the port side or I have a defective mount. Did anyone else experience this?

thanks,
Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA

David Sanner

Coincidence?  I'm not sure but I recently adjusted my
(couple month old) forward port K75 mount as it was a bit
too low.

I would think there's a little more weight on the port side as it looks
like there are a few more things hanging off that side like the heavy
exhaust manifold, alternator, etc but I wouldn't think it would
make that much of a difference.

I would think if you can keep you engine aligned, there's less
noise and not too much forward/aft movement in the engine
you're in good shape.
David Sanner, #611 1988, "Queimada" San Francisco Bay

Ron Hill

Ed : The starter and the alternator are both on the port side.  Neither of these are "lightweights".
Out of curiosity, how did you measure this compression?  :?:
Ron, Apache #788

Ed Shankle

Ron,
Yes, the added weight on that side makes sense; guess I thought it wouldn't significantly alter the compression. I am more concerned about it since it exceeds the max compression in the specs for the K50's.
I measured it by lining up another mount next to it and measuring the difference in the height of the bottom edge of the metal "cap".
I called Vetus tech service and they are sending out another and want this one returned so they can check it out.

Ed
Ed Shankle
Tail Wind #866 1989 m25xp
Salem, MA