Gary Wiseman -

In your project Batteries and Inverters
where did you locate the inverter?

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

gwiseman

Mike,

The inverter is located on the centerline just aft of the shaft log.    I glassed in a mount platform with bolts imbedded.   At the same time I glassed in a battery box for the dedicated start battery forward and to port of the shaft coupling.

Gary Wiseman

Mike Smith

Hi Gary -
Thanks so much for your response.  I am very interested in the upgrade you did on your ex-boat.  I replaced my house banks with T105s this weekend - tight fit! - everything just seems to work better.  For the inverter bank, how did you install it in the aft lazzarette?  Did you build/buy a container and how are the batteries arranged?  I can contact the current owner if you had rather me do that.

Mike Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

kss1220

Mike/Gary:

I am looking to do the same addition to my C34 with four 6V 105 Trojans.  Did you build a battery box or did you place the batteries in the existing hull liner seat locker in front of the sink?  What about a cover for the batteries?  Did you use a battery isolator for the bank?

Mike Smith

Kelley -

For now I just have them in the battery compartment.  For acid spill containment I want to find an appropriately sized container, or fabricate one  - but the fit is tight!  Yes, there is an battery isolater.  Funny, but I can really tell the difference between these "true" deep cycle batteries and the "marine" type when we run any house equipment.  I'm still looking for a place for the inverter.

Mike

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

kss1220

I am placing my inverter on the wall of the wet hagging locker outside of the locker  in between the two supports for the chart table.  My pure sine inverter that is 1800 wattts fits nicley and is out of view and still allows confortable room for legs while sitting at the table.  I also thought about mounting it inside one of the cut-outs in the hull liner behind the port sette back cushin.  My inverter is a inverter only and therefore the overall envelope size allows a lot of flexability.  Just some ideas for you.

Mike Smith

Kelly -
I have my battery charger under the nav table so that's out.  My ProWatt 1750 says not to exceed 5' for the DC input cables using 00 gauge, So siting the inverter and battery bank is a puzzle.  I want the inverter in the cabin area and easily accessible but out of sight.  If my inverter bank goes in the stern lazarette then the inverter will have to mount on the aft cabin bulkhead or thereabouts.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Stu Jackson

Mike

I originally wrote:  "Why not put it underneath the nav station?  We did just that on Jon Arck's boat last month.  makes it relatively easy to run wiring to the panel and the batteries.  You may have to use larger wire to catch the voltage drop."

Then I reread you last post.  So, why not on the outside wall still under the nav station or on the wall of the hanging locker?

We also installed a Blue Seas 2 AC Source Selector switch, #8032 (WMP 594111), since we wired in the AC power instead of just using the outlets on the 1750.  The switch was installed on the aft wall of the port settee, where your legs go facing aft at the nav station.

It also sounds like you are putting in an "inverter bank" of batteries.  Why separate these from your house bank at all?  Battery life is greatly extended when the house bank is as large as can be.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Another Clarification

Mike

By under the nav station, there could be a few different meanings.

We put Jon's inverter "under the nav station" meaning screwed into the bottom of the flat part, with holes drilled through the inside of the wood.  I may not be making myself clear:  open nav station top; see stuff inside; remove stuff, drill hole, mount inverter horizontally "underneath."

Don't know if your charger is there, but it may be on the wall to the hanging locker, or on the outside hull side.

Then there should still be room for you where we put Jon's.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike Smith

Hi Stu -
The PO had a 5KW Seapower unit for AC while underway.  By AC I don't mean Alternating Current, I mean Air Conditioning!  His family didn't like the heat! Problem was, the unit took 10HP to drive from a 25HP engine. I repowered with a 30HP Perkins and took the Seapower unit off.  So, the boat is already amply wired (pun?) and switched for power transfer from Shore to Ship.  I was going to do a standard installation with the inverter mounted "under the nav table" and connected to the existing house bank. I also thought of "under the nav table", but I would have to mount the inverter upside down, hence the display panel on the front would be upside down.  Yes, I thought of building a rack under there, but then there would be no place for my feet.  I don't think there is a flat surface within 6' of the house bank that I hadn't tried. Then I read Gary Weismann's write-up on his electrical upgrade and I think that's the way to go, although I wish I didn't have to put the 372 lbs of batteries in the stern, but the increased capacity opens up a lot of new possibilities.  From there, the limiting factor is cable length to the inverter, and anything forward of the rear of the engine is a non-starter. Gary mounted his under the aft cabin floor behind the shaft log, but I want mine more accessible and in the cabin. We will use the inverter bank for the usual small appliances and tools, but with the increased capacity, also for a small air compressor for our 60' diving hoses and regulators.  As always, I appreciate your comments and suggestions.

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

[This message was edited by Mike and Jan Smith "Breezer" C34 '88 #68 on May 30, 2003 at 06:08 AM.]

Mike Smith

Kelly -

Did you ever do the inverter installation?  If so, how did it go and where did you mount the inverter?

Mike and Jan Smith
S/V Breezer
www.mikejansmith.com

Dave Emery

Mike,

I installed my battery upgrade and inverter installation three years ago. I installed four T105's in the existing battery compartment (in front of the galley sink) and a starting battery just forward of the starboard water tank. I then installed a Heart Charger / Inverter on a shelve I built inside the hanging locker next to the nav station. The shelve is up high and located in the very back of the locker. There is still room for hanging cloths etc. I installed a teak wood louver vent in the hanging locker sidewall for ventilation. The wiring runs up and behind the existing electrical panel. Heart Charger / Inventers omit a slight buzz when charging or inverting, so locating the unit out of sight is beneficial in suppressing the buzzing sound from the cabin. The hardest part is routing your new 00 battery cables through the existing PVC conduit.

Good Luck,
Dave