old silicone removal?

Previous topic - Next topic

kerk fisher

3M Adhesive Remover, Debond 2000, DSR-5, Goo Gone, West Marine Adhesive Remover, Mr Clean magic Eraser, the list goes on....and on.  Ugh. So many options and expensive at that, does anyone know what really works to take old silicone off gelcote and fiberglass.  If I were to buy one of these or something else what would it be? An age old problem I know..... Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

Jon W

I've had very good results with Debond and keep some on the boat. It is expensive for a small amount, but works for me.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

britinusa

I have been removing quite a bit of Sillycone on our boat.

Best method -IMHO - simply rub it off, scratch it off, wire brush it off and do it again.

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

Ron Hill

Paul : I used a small brass wire brush after rubbing most of it off by hand. 

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

kerk fisher

Thanks for the comments.  Im going with a combo: debond, rubbing, and brushing.

Jon, did you find that the 4 oz (aerosol or pump?) was enough to have on board, or 12 oz?

Ron and Paul, I can see a wire brush on rough fiberglass (inside the hull) but on the gelcoat?? Doesn't it scratch the surface?

Thanks, Kerk
Kerk Fisher
C34, Into the Mystic II
Hull #1102, 1990
Sailing the North Channel, Lake Huron
908 Wicksbury Place, Louisville, KY 40207
Louisville, KY 40205
502-454-7759
Alternate email: kerksailmystic@gmail.com

mregan

I've had good results with Goo Gone and a new razor blade to get the majority off.  Then Goo Gone and some rubbing with a clean cloth to get the rest off.   

Jon W

I've gone through just about everything on the boat and used ~2 4oz aerosol cans in the process. I have a spare 4 oz aerosol on board for the unexpected. A little can go a long way if you're careful. In hindsight I could have bought one 12oz can and saved a few dollars. All depends on how much you have to do. The benefit to me of using marine debond is that it saves a lot of time and effort. Spray it on. Wait a couple minutes. Scrape it off with a putty knife. Wipe up the residue. Wipe with acetone and the surface is ready for new sealant.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

DaveBMusik

These are an alternative to the wire brush are these polishing wheels for a rotary tool.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073DWT2TH/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've found scraping as much off as possible with a plastic scraper and then moving to a razor blade and finally some kind of goo with a cloth or scotch brite pad.
You still need to rough up the surface a bit before the new application if you expect anything to stick for any period of time.
Dave Burgess
Water Music
1986 C34 Hull #206, Fin Keel
Yanmar 3YM30
Noank, CT

Craig Illman

When I was doing my starboard stanchions this spring, I was surprised how effective 409 was on the OEM silicone.

Craig