Reserve battery need a box?

Previous topic - Next topic

rmbrown

I bought an Odyssey PC1200 for a reserve battery and I'm on a quest to find a good location to install it.  I've read some good suggestions here but was wondering... Do I need to put it in a box or can I just strap/clamp it down?
Mike Brown
1993 C34 Tall Rig Wing Keel Mk 1.5
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

Noah

Not familiar with that type/brand of battery. If it is a traditional flooded lead/acid, yes you need a box.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

rmbrown

AGM, relatively small, recommended by Maine Sail.
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mark_53

Quote from: Noah on March 03, 2018, 09:43:32 AM
Not familiar with that type/brand of battery. If it is a traditional flooded lead/acid, yes you need a box.

+1 with needing a box.  If the box is too high for your location, it can be cut down to fit your battery.

rmbrown

Necessary to cover the battery or just contain it bottom and sides in case of leak?
Mike Brown
CTYP1251L293
Just Limin'
Universal M-35AC

mark_53

Quote from: rmbrown on March 03, 2018, 11:20:35 AM
Necessary to cover the battery or just contain it bottom and sides in case of leak?

Cover it. Rare but it could explode.

mainesail

No acid containment is necessary for your Odyssey TPPL AGM.. Terminals will require protection from shorts and it needs to be securely mounted..
-Maine Sail
Casco Bay, ME
Boat - CS-36T

https://marinehowto.com/

KWKloeber

Mike:

Each installed battery shall not move more than one inch when a pulling force of 90 pounds or twice the battery weight, whichever is less, is applied through the center of gravity of the battery as follows;
vertically for a duration of one minute, and horizontally and parallel to the boat's centerline, for a duration of one minute fore and one
minute aft, and one minute to starboard and one minute to port.

Also
Each metallic fuel line and fuel system component within 12 inches of the horizontal or vertical battery surface containing the terminals, as installed, shall be shielded with dielectric material to protect against accidental short-circuiting.
NOTES:
    1. Terminal insulation or battery covers do not provide compliance with this requirement since, during installation or removal of a battery, these protective devices are usually removed in order to connect the cables.
    2. Any non-conductive material may be used for shielding as long as it is durable enough to withstand accidental contact by a tool or the battery terminals during servicing, installation or removal.

(I covered large, grounded, metallic surfaces w/in 12" with a rubberized cupboard shelf liner, and wrapped metallic fittings with self-vulcanizing silicone tape.)

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain