Engine Drive Belt Tensioner

Previous topic - Next topic

britinusa

It bugged me that it was so difficult to get the tension on the drive belt tight.

I had read that it should allow a 1/2" deflection of the drive belt, but getting that with a long lever between the engine and the alternator was nearly impossible.

So I made a tensioner.

http://www.sailingeximius.com/2018/02/tensioning-engine-drive-belt.html

Paul

Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Yep, seen and followed those.

Mine is easy to produce, low tech, and does not compromise the existing tension system.

KISS - but the others lead me to the concept.

:)

Paul
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

Dave Spencer

Also in the spirit of low tech solutions, I cobbled together this modest tensioning tool this week.  I used a 1/4" Stainless Steel Stanley Turnbuckle that I picked up cheap at Princess Auto and a couple of 1/2" thick plastic pieces that I had cut off from a cutting board I made for over the sink.  I cut a groove in the plastic to allow the eye of the turnbuckle to be centred on the pulley.  It's important to minimize the protrusion of the bolt that holds the plastic onto the alternator end of the turnbuckle to prevent it from fouling on the alternator fan blades.  The thickness of the 1/4" bolt head was fine but the nut side would interfere with the fan blades. 
This is not a finely crafted tool but it does the job and is small and light enough to stow with spare belts so it's always available.  I love Kurt's built in tensioner that Ken referenced above but that's way beyond what I can do with the tools and skills that I possess.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

britinusa

Nicely done Dave.

Another cat skinned  :D
Paul & Peggy

See you out on the water

kh3412

1987 mk1 a work in progress #618