Alternator Belt Tensioner FLIX

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

This continues from: http://c34.org/bbs/index.php?topic=3619.0

We received and used the tool last week.  It's just great.  Like microwave ovens and ATM'S and autopilots, I can't figure out how we lived so long without it.

The smallest expansion is somewhat too long to be able to place the ends against both pulleys, so I put the crankshaft pulley end aft of the big pulley and the other end on the alternator belt.  (NOTE: 10/14/2008 - since changed, see photos below)  A few turns and the tool tightened the belt to within acceptable limits, not over tight, and all is well.  I loosened the pivot bolt, but left the lower port side bolt on the alternator bracket tight. (NOTE: 10/14/2008 - since changed, loosened all, tightened when tensioner was still in place) 

The new position still leaves a tiny bit more room for adjustment at the alternator bracket adjustment bolt at the engine side, which we may never need to use.  We could never get that adjustment arm down this far even when levering up the alternator through the door to the head.  We use a 7400 length belt to keep the alternator away from the water elbow and the oil filter.

This tool makes us three armed paper hangers.  The price is definitely worth it.

Thanks again to Steve Hansen for the link to the J C Whitney catalog.  It's definitely a tool worth having on board.

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Craig Illman

Testimonial

I had been getting significant dusting after adding my Balmar 80A alternator, even after aligning the best I could, by shimming fore/aft. I just finished a 300+ mile, two week cruise and had little dusting. The simple little tool from JC Whitney is a required tool now for me.

Yet again, another example of the amazing value of C34 organization membership.

Craig

Stu Jackson

Flix of the $10 marvel.  Adjustable wrench NIC in the $10, bring your own :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Ron Hill

Guys : You can also get a belt tensioner at my "favorate tool store" - Harbor Freight. 
Ron, Apache #788

dgill

Here is the JC Whitney catalog description for the Belt Tensioner  :thumb:

Part # ZX156161X
INSTANT FAN BELT TIGHTENER
Quick and easy one-hand operation.

Retail: $18.03
Our Low Price: $10.49 + shipping
You Save: $7.54     
First Point of Aries
1987 - Hull # 389
located on Lake Ogleton, Annapolis, Md

Stu Jackson

The direct URL link to JC Whitney is in Reply #5 in the link to the older discussion in the first post on this thread.  Only a few clicks away...

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Allan.SVCarina

Ron, I looked on line at Harbor Freight and could not find.  Am I missing something in my search?

Thanks
Allan R
# 2216 (C 36 MKII)

Ron Hill

Allen : We have a store in town, so I'll ask them where their belt tensioners are?   
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Asbury

Thanks, all.  Just ordered one online from JCW.
Bill
Bill & Penne
Sanderling 2005 C34MKII 1686
Chesapeake Bay

Roc

Hello everyone,
Called JCW and gave them the part number and they no longer carry this belt tensioner tool.  Also searched the Harbor Freight site with no luck.  Does anyone know where I can find this tool?

Thanks for the help.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Craig Illman

Roc - I might sell you mine for $100  :D

Craig

Stu Jackson

Has anyone tried NAPA, like in a real store?

Ron Volk

I found one at www1.mscdirect.com part #35438209 (Belt tension jack). this looks like the same type.
Ron - GOOSE III - Hull 1235 - 1993
Tall Rig - Fin Keel
Dana Point, CA

Ken Juul

The Admiral is going to be amazed.  I am not going to buy this tool, something she vary rarely hears!  I have never had a problem adjusting the belt.  Loosen all the bolts, open the access door in the head and pull on the top of the alternator.  Tighten the bolt on the arm.  Check tension.  If too tight, just cracking the adjustment arm bolt slightly generally is enough to get enough slack.  If not tight enough, loosen the adjustment arm and pull the top of the alternator a little harder.  Generally never takes more that 2 checks to get it right.  Don't forget to tighten up the other mount bolts when you are done.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA