boat bottom repair advice needed

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

IGNORE the fact that Defender used the term ELECTROLYSIS for stray current corrosion.
arrrrgh!
Arrrrrgh!!
AAAARGH!!!!

We are not splitting water into hydrogen/oxygen (electrolysis) with our boats.  At least hope not.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

anaisdog

good to know. i would have bought zinc, mistakenly . thanks Ken
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

anaisdog

also a LOT of the damage in the pictures was caused by westport marina, in lasalle canada, lifting the boat up with rocks in the bands.  this was before i had the boat.  they are also the reason i need to buy a cradle, the illegally kept the one that came with the boat.

KWKloeber

Quote from: anaisdog on October 22, 2017, 06:49:29 AM
good to know. i would have bought zinc, mistakenly . thanks Ken

Something else I noticed, IIWMB I would have placed the shaft anode further forward.  Just seat-of-the-pants it seems very close to the strut and you want to make sure there's no interference with water flow thru the cutlass bearing (water flowing is the lubricant/coolant.)  I've heard of standards of 3x or 4x the diameter, or 6" from the strut.  Some even put the anode at the hull end of the shaft (supposedly minimizes drag?)  Just keep it away from the center third of the shaft to avoid the anode from introducing shaft whip/vibration.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

scgunner

Becki,

When you say they "illegally kept", you mean they stole your cradle?
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

Steve_in_lex

Soda blasting is a great way to remove the existing bottom paint and start with a clean slate.  There are several threads about that in this message board.  In 2014, it cost us $1,700.

Steve
Steve Saudek
2005 C-34 MK II
"Brisa"

anaisdog

scgunner - it's a husband / wife yard.  the wife said, many times, that i could have the cradle for free (this was in september after I bought the boat) .  when my guy got there, with the trailer, the husband said i had to pay them money to load it and the summer storage fee in canadian cash right then, which my guy didn't have.  they would not take a credit card or any other payment and never did the wife state i had to pay them for the time i DIDN'T own the boat. 

and they lifted the boat, at least once, with rocks in the cradle straps. you can see the damage in the bottom paint.

Jim Hardesty

QuoteSoda blasting is a great way to remove the existing bottom paint and start with a clean slate.
QuoteIn 2014, it cost us $1,700.

Just want to give a much less costly DIY option.  A couple of club members used a pressure washer with coal grit to remove previous bottom paint.  Looked like it worked well.  Did make a mess but our parking lot / boat storage yard is gravel and the mess was quickly unnoticeable.  They did this in the fall and waited till spring to apply a barrier coat and bottom paint.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

anaisdog

thanks. what did they use for the barrier coat?  thanks

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Noah on October 24, 2017, 07:33:51 AM
Becki- this blog post on "blasting" may be helpful
http://cleanedbypete.blogspot.com/2013/05/sand-or-coal-slag-for-media-blasting.html?m=1

Mercy that post makes my eyeballs hurt. I wish I could edit and do a spell check for cleaner peter.

What's the roules on blasting and haveing to captchure runnoff? Only if their's runoff that gos directly to an waterway?  Not if it percelates into gravell?  I know that some yards have really clampped duun on DIY bottom wurk.  Lickily my yard is opan 6 days a weak, closed Mundays (if you get my dreft.) ~~~~~~

k

scgunner

Becki,

You need to find a new yard. It sounds like yard policy is based on the mood they're in that day, and they don't even seem to be in agreement with each other. I'd get my boat out of there pronto.
Kevin Quistberg                                                 Top Gun 1987 Mk 1 Hull #273

scgunner

Jim,

If you tried that in the Peoples Republic of California you'd wind up in jail.

anaisdog

oh, i never stored with westport marina, the PO did.  i am at edison boat club

scgunner