FS: a decent main

Previous topic - Next topic

dfloeter

We replaced our sails this year and have a main left over.   I bought this main from another member here a couple years ago and it served us well but the new quantum main is a bit better.  The sail was made for a standard rig Catalina 34, has the regular 2 reef points and logo.   The only issues are a bit of staining above the foot around a few small wear spots that are purely cosmetic.  I had a sailmaker check this out and he found it to be sound.   The sail can be shipped in a box and the battens shipped separately in a PVC tube. I paid $800 for the sail which was a bit high and I would be thrilled to get $500 from a needy sailor.

Any takers?

Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
1996 Catalina 34 TR WK #1317
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

sailrpete

How well does this sail fit your tall rig?  Is it worth adding a panel to the bottom for the extra TR height?  I have a 1988 TR WK with a tired main.

dfloeter

I wouldn't mess with adding anything to an older sail.  The fit was ok anyway if you didn't mind losing the top foot and a half.   For the money it's a good compromise, in my opinion and the sail is in pretty decent shape.   And in my way in the garage.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

anaisdog

did you sell it yet?  my 1986 main needs to be replaced
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

dfloeter

Still have the sail and it's in Traverse City.   The trees are a bit late in turning this year so you still have time to come up and enjoy the weather.
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20

anaisdog

how old do you think it is?  but yes, i could drive up there :-)
Hull #99, c34, 1986, Detroit Yacht Club

dfloeter

Not sure of the age but it appears to have been original equipment on a 34.   I used it for a couple of years and except for the fact that it was short on our boat was ok.   Granted, the new main is a bit nicer but that cost a bit more. 
Dietrich Floeter
Traverse City MI
Universal M35A
Rocna 20