New Stainless Steel Deck Fill Pipe Caps

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

From Catalina Direct

Our new pipe caps have the water, diesel, and waste designations cast right in.

For Catalinas Only
We are excited to announce that we have custom tooled another product specifically for you. Beautiful stainless steel replacements for your original plastic deck fill pipe caps.

The original plastic caps work great in their natural manufacturing habitat of Gamleby Sweden, which sits at about the same latitude as Glacier Bay National Park in Alaska (58° north). But 1,700 miles south in sunny Florida, or Southern California, the increased UV exposure destroys them in a few years. 

Added by Stu: [Or in snowy weather where the plastic ones collect water, then freeze and break!!!]

Comparing the original plastic cap (left) with the new stainless steel cap (right).  Photos were in the email.

Previously, when these plastic caps became cracked and sun damaged, our customers had two options. One was to replace them with new plastic caps that would last a few more years. The other, do some serious work and replace the entire deck pipe with stainless steel. We thought there must be a better way, so we custom built a solution. 

An example of your deck pipe and a new stainless cap.

A Better Solution
The new caps are made of type 316 stainless steel. Water, waste, and fuel designations are cast right in. The caps are tooled to fit the exact thread pitch of the original deck pipe. They cover and seal the exposed end of your original deck pipes without having to replace the pipes themselves. The new caps are practically indestructible and will make a sleek new addition to your boat.

Made Possible by You
Support from loyal customers like you makes it possible to create custom solutions specifically for Catalina owners. When you purchase a sail or furler from Catalina Direct, part of that money is rolled right back into research and development for custom products like these.

Order our replacement stainless steel deck fill pipe caps by giving us a call at
1-800-959-7245, or visiting our website here.

We appreciate your business and thank you for your continued support!

- The Catalina Direct Crew

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Thx Stu- Last year I changed all three of my deck fill pipes and caps to SS. If I hadn't, perhaps I would be buying these except; for a couple of concerns I had when I got the email about them from CD, which I communicated to CD. One is dissimilar metals; SS caps screwing into bronze fills? This is probably not a big deal if you open and close frequently.
2. I don't like the fact that they cast their logo into the top of these. Was that really necessary?! I didn't like it when they emblazoned their logo AND PHONE number across the face of their CD replacement engine instrument panel either (but I bought it). My boat's not a canvas for their company advertising. Perhaps it's just me?  BTW, I am in the marketing/advertising business, so just call me a hypocritical old curmudgeon!  :?
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Jon W

What about putting lanacote on the threads?
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Bob K

I recently bought the new stainless cap to replace my faded red fuel cap.  I did not feel the o-ring compress much, certainly less than with the plastic cap. Thinking the cap is bottoming out before the o-ring has enough compression.  A larger diameter o-ring would likely fix this but I haven't looked for one yet.
Anyone else have this issue?
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ron Hill

Bob : That could be a real bummer if water could get by that "O" ring!!
A carbon paper strip to see if a mark is made on the inside of the deck fitting??

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Bob K on May 23, 2017, 01:08:37 PM
I recently bought the new stainless cap to replace my faded red fuel cap.  I did not feel the o-ring compress much, certainly less than with the plastic cap. Thinking the cap is bottoming out before the o-ring has enough compression.  A larger diameter o-ring would likely fix this but I haven't looked for one yet.
Anyone else have this issue?

Bob, I haven't gotten mine yet, but have you compared the two O rings?  You could take the old one off and use it, or go to a local quality hardware store and get a thicker ring of the same diameter.  Thanks for the heads up.

Ron's right, it's like his "Dollar Bill Test" between the exhaust riser and the HX. :D :D :D

patrice

Hi,
Yes a new O ring might fix the issue.  But between us.  CD claim they design something new for this.
So when I buy something new, I expect it to fullfill it s purpose without having to modify it.

Unless Bob have someting else preventing the cap to fit good.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Jon W

Have you called CD to ask them? Mine just arrived but don't know if the o-ring is undersized.
Jon W.
s/v Della Jean
Hull #493, 1987 MK 1, M25XP, 35# Mantus, Std Rig
San Diego, Ca

Bob K

I was back at the boat yesterday and looked closer at this issue. The o ring on the SS cap is same size as on the plastic caps. 1.5" ID and 1/8" thick.  I had and tried a 3/16" thick o ring but that was much too thick.
I  again compared the feel of the plastic cap vs the SS cap when tightening.   I reallly don't trust the new cap, as it bottoms out before I can feel o ring compression.  I removed it and put the plastic one back on till I get this sorted out.  I spoke with CD and they had no complaints of this nature though they never tried a fit test with the fill plate attached to a deck - that is where the problem is. The cap has a bottom side ridge that overlaps the fill plate and contacts the deck and prevents further tightening.  The plastic cap has same ridge but the soft plastic deforms and allows further tightening.   I will try to get an odd size o ring that is just slightly thicker than the existing one.  If that doesn't work I will return it
Bob K
Prosit
1992 #1186
Northern Chesapeake Bay

patrice

Hi Bob,

Also, if you can, measure the lenght of the threaded part on both type of cap to compare.
It might just be missing one or two thread and is enough to cause this issue.
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~