Sherwood Water Pump replacement with Oberdorfer on M25XPB

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Shreeves

I installed the 908 on my M25XPB a couple of weeks ago along with new hoses and the fit was great.  It only required minor material removal for the fittings to spin just as everyone said.  There didn't appear to be any or much lubrication on the impeller so, I put a thin coating of vaseline on the impeller and interior wall of the pump that the impeller rubs against for some lubrication before the water made its way to the pump on start-up.  Launched late last week and the pump works like a champ.  No priming needed  and the engine temps are what they should be.
The only thing that always works on an old boat is the owner...

Bill Shreeves
s/v "Begnnings" 1987 Shoal Draft #333
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Everyone....

Though it's not going to be fatal -- vaseline isn't the best thing to use on rubber.

EVERYONE should own a tube of SuperLube teflon gel lube.  it's a STAPLE to carry on a boat.

Or use mineral oil (baby oil) or liquid soap.

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Bill Shreeves

QuoteThough it's not going to be fatal -- vaseline isn't the best thing to use on rubber.

Huh, still new to this after having completed only my first season.  After reading more in to it after reading your comment, I now see this isn't good for rubber.  I recalled reading to very lightly lube new impeller with Vaseline when I replaced the impeller on the Sherwood last year.  Heck, I even stored a little along with my spare impeller for unplanned replacements.  I don't recall the source and didn't think to question it.  Should I open it up and clean it off?  If so, what would be best to remove the vaseline with?

Thanks for the correction....

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Bill,

As I said it's  probably not fatal.   But if you want to, i would use a paper towel and physically remove it, followed by Dawn dish soap scrub down to remove the film.
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

All : Maybe it works for some, but I would stay away from oil (petroleum) based products on "rubber" impellers or gaskets.  Silicon is what I would recommend.

When installing an impeller it's best to use dishwashing soap to slide it in place.

my thought
Ron, Apache #788

Bill Shreeves

Thanks for the info guys.  Another item on the weekend list.  Fortunately, it can't be much easier with my brand spanking new Oberdorfer pump!

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bill Shreeves on June 15, 2017, 04:01:08 PM
Thanks for the info guys.  Another item on the weekend list.  Fortunately, it can't be much easier with my brand spanking new Oberdorfer pump!

Bill, just FYI also.  Besides the Ob impeller, I keep a small bottle of baby oil aboard.  A couple teaspoons down the sink drain and pumped thru makes a great lube for the head pump seals and cylinder/rubber on the piston.  Since it's mineral oil and not petroleum based it makes a good lube for rubber/plastic parts that you can't get to very easily.

kk

Bill Shreeves

that's a great suggestion!

Bill Shreeves
M25XPB, Worton Creek, MD

Roc

The problem of putting any kind of lubricating "oil" in the head is that it will create an oil slick on the top of the holding tank contents, suffocating the aerobic bacteria, causing tank odors.  This was something Peggie Hall always suggested not to do.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: Roc on June 19, 2017, 02:02:06 PM
The problem of putting any kind of lubricating "oil" in the head is that it will create an oil slick on the top of the holding tank contents, suffocating the aerobic bacteria, causing tank odors.  This was something Peggie Hall always suggested not to do.

ROC

Will a tablespoon full say, 1x season or 1x month (depending on usage, need changes) be an issue?  I'd think it would become emulsified with the pumping? 

nevertheless, I have my tank so it completely empties @ pump out, of course that means along with any oil on the surface (if that's really an issue -- we're not talking a pint of it here remember)

ken

Roc

Hi Ken,
I would think a small amount is negligible.  But I think Peggie's suggestion is to caution someone that puts larger amounts, frequently, that would cause a slick to form on the top of the tank.  I think the key is using small amounts, for just this reason.  What I do is lube the inside of the pump tube, and the rubber o-ring with superlube (non petroleum lubricant).  I believe she suggests using that to lube the head also.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

ROC,

I lube a new pump like that**
But taking apart one and re-lubing isn't saved in my "favorites."

cheers
Ken

** I believe under maritime law (and USCG regs,) SuperLube ptfe gel is a required carry-aboard on all vessels.  And SuperLube ptfe dry lube as well (on sail driven vessels). 
The gel is a lube, and is the same as SuperLube's dielectric "grease" product. 
If it's not required by law -- just like gravity-- "it's a good idea."

John Langford

Useful exchange. I note that Jabsco actually recommends regular lubrication of the inside of the toilet pump and the plunger and its big o-ring with Vaseline. I tried using lanolin for awhile. It lasted longer but did not like cold temperatures or water, both of which made pumping more difficult.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S