Universal M25XP Oil Pan 300131

Previous topic - Next topic

Indian Falls

KK,
Are any of the other non marine oil pans that fit this block of the same shape? 

It would be easy to mod a non marine oil pan that cost maybe 50 bucks with the dipstick boss and a relocated drain plug.
Dan & Dar
s/v Resolution, 1990 C34 997
We have enough youth: how about a fountain of "smart"?

KWKloeber

Quote from: Indian Falls on April 08, 2017, 12:42:45 PM
KK,
Are any of the other non marine oil pans that fit this block of the same shape? 

It would be easy to mod a non marine oil pan that cost maybe 50 bucks with the dipstick boss and a relocated drain plug.

I understood that some of the pans are shallower than the "marine"  I haven't verified that.
But yes, some pans are very close.  Thru my Kubota/tractor network, for instance, I have a "spare" pan that's the same as my M-25, but the drain is on the front face, not bottom side.  It doesn't matter to me -- I don't have the drain hose and don't want an oil banjo -- just another unneeded potential leak/failure point.  I use a pump to empty my Hurth and the same for the pan.  Works great.  The drain on the XP/XPA is dumb anyway, being on the FORWARD end -- it should have been on the REAR end.  That's how the B-series drains are done.

$50, you're saying is used? No new Kb pans for that cost.  The other issue is the dipstick tube, which are NLA parts.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Indian Falls

KK

50$ was a pick out of the air... do you happen to know how much a new non marine oil pan is? ballpark?
The dip stick tube.... let me get to my boat and have a look at that... not really seeing a huge difficulty there just yet.
Dan & Dar

Stu Jackson

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 08, 2017, 02:32:52 PM>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The drain on the XP/XPA is dumb anyway, being on the FORWARD end -- it should have been on the REAR end. 

Mine's in the middle.   :D :D :D

Works for me.   :clap

Your boat, your choice.   :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Quote from: Stu Jackson on April 08, 2017, 04:33:21 PM
Quote from: KWKloeber on April 08, 2017, 02:32:52 PM>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
The drain on the XP/XPA is dumb anyway, being on the FORWARD end -- it should have been on the REAR end. 

Mine's in the middle.   :D :D :D
Works for me.   :clap
Your boat, your choice.   :D

So, "When changing oil, it's overkill to get all the spent, contaminated oil out"
Okay then!

Sure, it's not fatal, just another poor design that could have been "caught" and easily done correctly.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Quote from: Indian Falls on April 08, 2017, 03:31:29 PM
KK

50$ was a pick out of the air... do you happen to know how much a new non marine oil pan is? ballpark?
The dip stick tube.... let me get to my boat and have a look at that... not really seeing a huge difficulty there just yet.

Dan,

So many of those type parts are NLA directly from Kb that if I can find them in leftovers (like new old stock or farmers' parts piles) they are at a premium price.  The last oil pan and tube I got went for $450 new, a bargooon compared to Westerbeke's $800 price.

Ken

Indian Falls

ouch... that took all the fun out of it.
Dan & Dar

pjcomeau

I'm looking for a replacement dipstick tube (part #300720). This part number is discontinued.

In then end did someone find a counterpart to this part number from Kubota ?
Pierre Comeau
Time To Keel, 1988 #687  Saint John, NB Canada