Lewmar Winches on Sale buy one get one free at WM 3/16-3/19

Previous topic - Next topic

Noah

Not shilling for WM but...just in case anyone was dreaming about winches...it's a short time window/but sounds like good deal.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ben H.

Would the Ocean 30ST be the one for over the companion way?
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/lewmar--ocean-series-one-two-speed-self-tailing-winches--P002_070_001_503

My boat only have one non-selftailing. Would it be good to have self tailing for both of these?
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Dave Spencer

Ben,
I have 2 Lewmar 30STs over the companionway on my Mk 1.5 just like the ones you linked from WM.  My opinion - If I only had one non-self tailing winch, the port side cabin top would be the place to have it based on the way my boat is rigged.  YBYC on whether or not it's worth the money to replace your non-ST with an ST winch.
Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Noah

Self tailers on the mainsheet and jib sheets make it a lot easier, especially when sailing shorthanded.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ben H.

Quote from: Noah on March 16, 2017, 12:43:17 PM
Self tailers on the mainsheet and jib sheets make it a lot easier, especially when sailing shorthanded.

Looks like WM won some boat bucks this weekend... :shock:
Ben H.
"Happy Camper"
1989 C34 Mk I #886
Std. Rig, Wing Keel, M25XP Engine
Boat - Westport, Connecticut

Ron Hill

Ben : I found that a ST winch was handy for running rigging that you frequently use.  That's why I never spent the $$ boat-bucks for the port side cabin top winch for the Genoa.
By all means you need a ST for the main halyard.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788