Whisker pole deployment

Previous topic - Next topic

Ross Fisher

Hi all,

I have a 13.5 Ft Selden Pole to match my 135% genoa.
This works efficiently in many downwind angles but has limitations.
When sailing close to directly downwind, the forward stay prevents the pole from being brought back far enough to become really effective.
To overcome this, I have deployed the pole between the forward stay and the mainstay, but this is a high risk maneuver and my rigger says should be avoided.
Have other members approached, and possibly resolved this issue?
I will welcome your suggestions.
Ross Fisher
# 1486  "Avventura"                            
2000 Catalina Mk11 Wing Keel
M35B
Melbourne, Australia

Stu Jackson

Your rigger is right, that is NOT the place to put the pole.  Sailing DDW, to keep the jib from collapsing with the pole up, we used to have to bring the main in.  Almost similar to going DDW without a pole wing-n-wing.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

I have deployed the pole between the forward stay and the mainstay, but this is a high risk maneuver and my rigger says should be avoided.
Have other members approached, and possibly resolved this issue?
I will welcome your suggestions.

You're pulling our collective legs, correct?  You don't actually sail this way, right?   YBYC, but "avoided" isn't exactly the appropriate characterization JTSO.  "Don't ever do what I'm doing," is more like it.

I fully subscribe to the "safety bucket" theory and have dipped into mine more times that I want to admit.  I hope your bucket is overflowing if you do this -- just inform anyone boarding of the danger beforehand, and let them decide whether or not to join you!

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

britinusa

Not particularly relevant to the safety issue. But this is a great 3 video series that discusses how sails work. Drink a cup of coffee prior to watching the first one, but it does cover downwind sailing and specifically wing on wing with a whisker pole.
Link to YouTube

Paul
Paul & Peggy
1987 C34 Tall Rig Fin Keel - Hull # 463

See you out on the water

Engine:M25XP