rope clutches

Previous topic - Next topic

KWKloeber

Quote from: DaveBMusik on December 26, 2016, 07:42:23 AM
I am looking to replace a clutch to the right of the companionway.  I see that Catalina Direct has the originals with the same bolt pattern.

Has anyone found a better clutch with the same bolt spacing?

What is the conventional wisdom? Go ahead and drill new holes or replace with the original model?

Thanks, Dave

Dave,  I deal for Garhauer, Lewmar, Antal, Spinlock, etc.  There's differences between all clutches in how each holds the line (due to patents), and JTSO the Lewmar clutch and Antal "V" clutches are two that are easiest on a line.  The Lewmars hold the line by deforming it through 4-5 offset clutch rings, while the Spinlocks actually clamp down on the line with "teeth" (not friendly to the line cover.)

I don't know if it would help you any, but I have 2 of the old (gray) Lewmar D2 clutches -- not the newer DC2 (black bodies.) 

They are size 10-12mm triples, but can be turned into doubles or
singles.  They are new this season, as in never used -- they were installed to match the existing clutches, but removed before being used (owner changed his mind and changed his new and old clutches to the DC2 style.) 

I just need to get rid of them at a fire sale price.  email or PM me if they can help you out.

-ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain