Replace Tachometer Light Bulb

Previous topic - Next topic

Rortega46

Sorry, but I am unable to post pics from my iPad or iPhone. If there was a way to do this let me know.
Randy Ortega
2001 MKII Hull # 1532 M35BC
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Noah

Photos should easy post from iPad and iPhone with all uploaded photos auto-resizing, if Dave Sanner's great plug-in tool is still working.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Noah

Ok, now exactly where does the lightbulb go? :shock: 8)
Standard Rig

Rortega46

When I try to post photos from my iPad the below message shows up.....

An Error Has Occurred!
B988B9CB-5366-49FB-810A-416A449A525D.jpeg.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are pdf,jpg,gif,png,txt,doc.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Noah

I have had that occur occasionally in the past but not recently. As a work around, when that occurred, I resaved the file on my desktop Imac and posted from there. Gotta love technology :?
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on October 05, 2017, 07:41:43 PM

You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are pdf,jpg,gif,png,txt,doc.

Randy. 
Yah. 
Apparently SmartForums wants JPG, files not JPEG.  It's stupid because all you need do is rename the file extension and then SF accepts it, so it should accept that file extension in the first place.  Also, in Apple's marketing strategy to be a major player in the continued dumbing down of America, it doesn't let you SEE the file names, no less change it.

Sometimes if I email a pic to myself (6s, iOS 10) it will change the extension to JPG, JPEG, or PNG --  my phone has a mind of its own what format it chooses. You might try that and then resave it to your albums.

My 6s seems to saving pix as JPG, which begs the question why is your iphone saving them as JPEG?  Maybe there's a Apple aficionado out there that can shed some light on this??? 

David, is there a SF extension that can be plugged in to accept JPEGs, or convert them on uploading?

ken

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on October 05, 2017, 04:04:26 PM
The bulbs and sockets are the same for all 4 instruments, and it seems the bulbs are soldered into the sockets. Bulbs are #194 and bulb and twist socket combinations are PC194.  Superbrighleds.com has the bulb and socket combinations in a variety of colors for $5.95.

Randy,  Is the soldered-in bulb an LED?  If so I guess that's the "permanent" bulb that TF uses that I posted about below.

BTW, anyone wanting to go Amber or Blue ans stick with incandescent bulbs,
https://www.google.com/search?q=gauge+bulb+covers&oq=gauge+bulb+covers

Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

Randy

Quick update if this helps you out...

I installed two apps. 

ViewEXIF - Displays ALL THE the photo file information.  Seamless, just select the pic and tap the a button right in your photo collection.

Resize It - It saves back a COPY in JPG format. A VERY easy and friendly way to CROP and RESIZE a pic on your apple device.  If I want to rename a JPEG --> JPG (not resize), I Just change the size by one digit (eg, 2048 pixels --> 2047) and save it.  No uploading to a cloud storage that changes the name, no emailing to myself, no saving to and renaming it on my PC.

k

Dave S

FYI for iPhone people uploading pictures: The new iOS11 introduces a new "High Efficiency" photo compression called HEIF/HVEC. When I upgraded to iOS11, it defaulted to the new file type. Go into Settings - Camera - Formats and change back to "Most Compatible" if you want to keep using the JPEG format.
2000 Mk II #1471
s/v Breezin'
Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Quote from: Dave S on October 06, 2017, 04:08:01 PM
FYI for iPhone people uploading pictures: The new iOS11 introduces a new "High Efficiency" photo compression called HEIF/HVEC. When I upgraded to iOS11, it defaulted to the new file type. Go into Settings - Camera - Formats and change back to "Most Compatible" if you want to keep using the JPEG format.

I've read that the new formats takes about 1/2 the storage space, as incompatible as they are with older applications.  It will take some time for PC applications to support those.  The format is a standard, but not widely used (as yet.) 

However the high efficiency looses significant quality...  very surprising for Apple, I'd say.  See comparisons:
https://youtu.be/4QnjpeT1ihE

It looks like iOS 11 forces us back to *.JPEG filenames, instead of the more universally accepted *.JPG filename.  Thx, Apple.

Rortega46

Attached are some photos of my instruments and light bulbs. I can only upload one photo per post so as not to  exceed the 200KB limit.  I was unable to upload from my iPhone or iPad, even after downloading the Resize It app and resizing the photos.  To upload them I saved 'em to the MacBook's desktop. This changed the photo format to .jpg. 
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

Rortega46

This is a pic of the domed instruments.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Randy

So you had to reach in with a needle nose to release it?

Did you try uploading more than one pic at a time?
The uploader is **supposed to** reduce the file sizes but sometimes I've found it coughs and spits up. Other times it works perfectly.   I had made Dave S aware of the problem but I don't know if he's looked into it or if there's any revolution.

ken

Rortega46

No, I did not know you could reach in with needle nose and release it. I pulled and disconnected the bulb from the socket's solder connection.

Yes, I did try to upload multiple photos but a message came up advising you cannot load photos totaling more than 200 KB.
Randy Ortega
S/V Yat
New Orleans, LA

KWKloeber

Quote from: Rortega46 on October 07, 2017, 02:18:17 PM
No, I did not know you could reach in with needle nose and release it. I pulled and disconnected the bulb from the socket's solder connection.

Yes, I did try to upload multiple photos but a message came up advising you cannot load photos totaling more than 200 KB.

Randy,

Apologies for not being clear.  What I meant was, because the bulb holder was recessed into the tach (not protruding out the back as in the pix of the other panel that I posted below) did it come out w/ fingers or needed a needle nose to get at it?

I'm really surprised that the bulb was soldered in.  The other tachs use the same type bulb holder but it's a push-in wedge base, not soldered in.

The only explanation I could see is an attempt to force owners to buy the bulb assembly from TF, rather than buying just a bulbs at AutoZone, etc.

ken