difficult first engine start of season

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobg

Thanks everyone.  Anybody know of a place that sells primary racor filters at a really good price?  I have a lot of good ideas to check out next time at the boat, hopefully I can get my speed at least back to where I was when I bought the boat.  Probably change all fuel hoses, I have changed all other hoses last year may as well continue.  Yes Ken, I meant electronic "pump" not filters.
Bob Gatz, 1988 catalina 34, Hull#818, "Ghostrider" sail lake superior Apostle Islands

Ron Hill

Guys : I've posted this before, but it's worth saying again.

After a winter lay up (or engine off for a couple of weeks) I always did this procedure before the actual start.
1. I left the raw water thru hull closed
2. I pulled out the fuel cutoff and held it so no fuel was being pumped out the injection pump
3. Engaged the starter for about 15 seconds - to let the oil pump get oil in to the upper engine case.
4. Turned ON the raw water thru hull, pushed the fuel cutoff back IN, moved the throttle all the way fwd and then all the way back - cracking it about 1 inch fwd, engaged the glow plugs for about 10 seconds.
5. Then touched the starter and the engine zoomed to life !!!
6. Besides circulating oil, this time also allowed the electric fuel pump to circulate the fuel from the tank thru the fuel system (on my M25XP with a bleed valve it was cracked about 1/4 turn to have a self bleeding system)

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Bobg on June 10, 2016, 07:53:00 AM
Thanks everyone.  Anybody know of a place that sells primary racor filters at a really good price?  I have a lot of good ideas to check out next time at the boat, hopefully I can get my speed at least back to where I was when I bought the boat.  Probably change all fuel hoses, I have changed all other hoses last year may as well continue.  Yes Ken, I meant electronic "pump" not filters.

Check your local industrial tractor/excavator dealer - that's where I get the FleetGuard filters.
Google the product number and you'll find online outlets, but most will want shipping on top of that.

ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain