Broke down - Freshwater Coolant Pump Model and Source

Previous topic - Next topic

Lance Jones

We were motoring out when there was a squeal and the motor acted upon. Upon opening the compartment up there was water leaking from the circulating pump and it was not moving well when the motor was running.

Any ideas while I sit here at anchor?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

Sounds like the bearing in the pump froze.  No repairing that.  Hope you have unlimited towing.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Thanks Ken. Yes. We were able to sail in. I figured out that you are correct. Does anyone know where to get one?
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Ken Juul

your local Kubota dealer or Tractor Supply.  IIRC it is a D950 engine, but do a search be be sure.  Easy fix provided the nuts/bolts aren't rusted.  You will need a new gasket also.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Lance Jones

Located a local Kubota dealer. Parts will be ordered Monday. Again, thanks.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Paulus

Lance, had the same issue in Erie, PA about 10 years ago.  Ordered thru the local Kubota dealer.  If you need the part # let me know as I am going to the boat on Monday and have it.  Cannot email from the boat as I only have a flip phone but would be happy to call you.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Lance Jones

Thanks Paul. I used the m25xp to Kubota d950 manual on this site. The local dealer has the part number and will order it in the morning.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

Steve W10

When I did mine it did not come with the water return pipe installed.  I had to order it separately.  That was however, many moons ago.

Steve

Lance Jones

Thanks Steve! I'll order it just in case!
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622

KWKloeber

Quote from: Lance Jones on May 22, 2016, 06:04:00 AM
Thanks Paul. I used the m25xp to Kubota d950 manual on this site. The local dealer has the part number and will order it in the morning.

Lance, 

There's a serial number break (Kubota sn, not the Universal sn) where the coolant circulating pump impeller size is different.  i.e., the Universals were all one size pump, but the Kubota used 2 different pumps, depending on the gear cover.  I recall seeing that discussed and with pics (someone got the wrong size) on the wiki, or the net, or SBO.   I DO NOT recall if they provided the correct Kb p/n that fits the Universal engines, but you might want to do a search and see...

Just a guess -- Kb may have discovered that the pump wasn't pulling enough coolant and changed the impeller size and gear cover after "x" serial numbers were produced?

Ken
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Paulus

Lance, the local Kubota dealer just used the D950 number and ordered me the part, came with a casket and a new belt.  Perfect fit.
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

KWKloeber

Quote from: Paulus on May 23, 2016, 12:15:02 PM
Lance, the local Kubota dealer just used the D950 number and ordered me the part, came with a casket and a new belt.  Perfect fit.
Paul

There's TWO D950 numbers for that pump which part number did the dealer get for you?

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

KWKloeber

follow up.....

One pump used on D950 engine was p/n 15531-73030, superseded by current p/n 15552-73034 (replaces 15552-73033, 15552-73030.)

The other pump used on D950 engine was p/n 15752-73030, superseded by current p/n 15534-73030 (replaces p/n 15752-73033, 15752-73032, 15752-73030.)

I don't know (wich I did) the difference between them, and my Kb dealer doesn't either.

Ken

Paulus

Lance, the number for my pump was 15534-73030.  Came with all the parts. 
Paul
Cool Change 1989 #944

Lance Jones

Thanks all! The pump was installed and working great! Again you rock! BTW, the new pump part reflects that it comes w/of the return pipe attatched.
Lance Jones
1988  C-34 Kitty's Cat
S/N 622