Waterpump/Camshaft problem w/M-35BC engine

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Price

The service bulletin was not totally clear on which 25XP models might have the missing sleeve.  I pulled mine and it looked slightly different from drawings.  The shaft extends slightly forward of a large collar that is held in position with a snap ring around the shaft.  There does not appear to be any space for a sleeve for the collar unless it is very short.  I cannot tell that from the drawing.  If the new sleeve is just a peice that fits on the end of the shaft (effectly securing the slotted end) and rides on top of the snap ring, then I guess I could be missing the item.  Any help from anyone who has actually replaed?????  How long is the reinforcing sleeve? And does it just sit on the end of the shaft with the pump holding it in place??
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Gary Marhcand

I have hull #1386, the S/V Carte Blanche, with a W/U M-35.  I'm sure it's the A and not B model.  I experienced the cam failure and would strongly suggest that preventive maintenance be done as the engine must be opened to replace the cam shaft once failure occurs.  The replacement is a total fix and the engine runs every  bit as good as it ever did but the downtime should be avoided.  We rigged a free standing JABSCO electric water pump inside the engine compartment to handle temporary duties until we could get to a shipyard and we had full use of the Carte Blanche.  This pump will now serve as a spare water pump or emergency bilge pump depending on the hose configuration used.  Overall the W/U M35 has been a solid performer and is well suited to C-34.

captran

Here is my original e mail and their response.  Judging from Garys hull number, I believe his is the B model with the 35 horse power...although his post has me alittle concerned that the A model might be susceptable to the failure.

Randy,
  Your unit is not affected by this service bulletin. You have an A series model and the bulletin is for the B series model.

Russ

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, December 17, 2002 7:02 AM
To: RHagan@westerbeke.com
Subject: cam shaft issue

Hello,
I recently read several postings on the Catalina 34 website referring to a cam shaft collar that may be necessary on some Universal Engines.  Since I am many miles from my boat I can't check it, but I do have the original sales agreement with the numbers.  The boat is a Catalina 34, 1997 Hull number 1345J697, the engine is the Model M35AC Serial Number 929881-D606.  Is there a way to tell if this model is susceptable to the cam shaft failure?  Thank you.

Randy Thies

Captain Bob

If you can't get to your boat in the winter months to determine the engine serial number, give Catalina a call as they record the hull number and engine number in their master book. As long as you haven't repowered since the boat was built you should have the correct number.

c34member

Hull # 1515

Engine OXW8828 E001

Naked shaft. :(

George Alberts

In my previous post I forgot to mention my engine number.  As I said in my earlier post, it did have the "naked shaft" and I got the part(s) from Westerbeke and installed it. Catalina was very helpful in confirming it for me--the engine number is

WW2564D904

Again, it is hull number 1471.

seacatc34

Hull 1373, M35BC engine ser #nnnnnD701, a 1997 boat, has the problem of the missing collar.  While reporting this to Westerbeke's rep, Bob Pisani??, the topic of a slowly leaking water pump came up.  The three rectangular holes are to let seawater that seeps by the seal to exit rather than make its way into the engine. Any seepage or leakage must be attended to without significant delay.  Apparently, the leakage indicates the seal has failed and puts the pump shaft at risk of corrosion, which can result in its seizing.  Of course, I've got that problem too so I'll replace the seal.  Or one can buy a new pump for $234 or so.  

Mike Roy
Cat's Paw

Breakin Away

I know this is a very old thread, but the topic will never go away, especially for owners who purchase used boats of this vintage.

I have hull #1535 and could not see my motor serial number or date code due to water heater hoses being in the way. Seeing that #1515 did not have the reinforcing collar made me nervous, so I pulled off my Sherwood G908 pump while changing out the impellar today. I confirmed that it DOES have the reinforcing collar.

Later I was able to push the hoses aside and get a phone picture of the serial number (after about 12 pictures that were too out of focus). My date code is E004, so that's consistent with the tech bulletin pinning the problem on motors prior to E001.

I think Roc reported that his #1477/pre-E001 motor did have the collar, so that adds some potential confusion. For those trying to deduce whether their boats are "safe" from the serial number, it is possible that collars were added to older boats by a prior owner. (This could have even happened with my own boat.) Don't go assuming that your boat is safe because it's newer than one that reported having the collar. The only way to be sure is to check for yourself, which is easily done when doing a routine impellar change.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

Roc

I think the only way to confirm is to pull the pump and actually look to see if the collar is installed.  Just to make sure, and not go by the serial number.  It's not hard to pull the pump and check it out.  As mentioned, my engine did have the collar.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Understand that the necessity to add the reinforcing is because of the Sherwood pump busting the fork on the camshaft.  The obvious other route, whether you already have or need to add a collar, is GET RID OF the damn crappy pump that's manufactured of material (i.e, IRON) that should not be used in a marine environment, and that Westerbeke is PROUD to own 100% of the rights to, and is PROUD as well to install on its marine engine products.

If you sense an attitude, I gleefully admit it.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Breakin Away

Quote from: KWKloeber on April 09, 2018, 07:11:02 PM
Understand that the necessity to add the reinforcing is because of the Sherwood pump busting the fork on the camshaft.  The obvious other route, whether you already have or need to add a collar, is GET RID OF the damn crappy pump that's manufactured of material (i.e, IRON) that should not be used in a marine environment, and that Westerbeke is PROUD to own 100% of the rights to, and is PROUD as well to install on its marine engine products.

If you sense an attitude, I gleefully admit it.

k
I've read all the comments elsewhere and am aware of the design deficiencies. My Sherwood pump is working well, no leaks through the weep holes, no significant corrosion apparent on the housing, and the previous owner left me with three perfectly good #200175 impeller kits. I've chosen to use up the impeller kits and defer replacement of the pump as long as it continues to work well.

When I'm ready to replace the pump, I'll buy the one you're selling.

2001 MkII Breakin' Away, #1535, TR/WK, M35BC, Mantus 35# (at Rock Hall Landing Marina)

KWKloeber

(That wasn't a sales pitch — the M-908 can be found online way cheaper @ dealer cost.  :shock: :shock:  Of course w/o support and stud install kit.  And of course one can install a modded M-16 pump which is doubly way cheaper.)  k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Ron Hill

Guys : There was a full page ALERT add put in the Mainsheet as well as articles in Practical Sailor on the Westerbeke fix for the M35B (35hp) and M25XPB (26hp) engines.

I'm sure that you can go to Westerbeke and get a copy of that Service Bulletin!!!

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

KWKloeber

Quote from: Ron Hill on April 10, 2018, 01:56:23 PM

I'm sure that you can go to Westerbeke and get a copy of that Service Bulletin!!!

NO need to. All SBs are on the wiki, in searchable format to boot!

-:)