Mainsail Track System

Previous topic - Next topic

jrgrabmeier

Because of sailing single-handed or with inexperienced crew, I am looking for a system to make hoisting and reefing the mainsail easier.

I have a tall rig #1205 (1992)

I understand that the newer boats have a track system as part of their standard equipment.  I have hear of a "Dutchman B40-2 system, and although they are sending me the catalog, I have no other information

Does anyone have an opinion as to the best system, price and installation is a consideration

Stu Jackson

For years, C34 owners have been disappointed with the raising of the mainsail.  The reason of  course, is friction.  The deck organizer at the deck, the turning block at the base of the mast, and the halyard sheaves at the top of the mast create a lot of drag. What many owners have done is replace all of these with ball bearing blocks by Garhauer.  This reduces the friction significantly.  We have a full batten main with Harken Battcars on a track.  While some folks believe this helps the situation, what it really does is add weight the to whole system.  It does help when dropping the main, however.

For raising the main, a lot of folks think that one should be able to “easily” raise the main by pulling on the halyard from the cockpit.  Nothing could be further from the truth. Dave Aucella, former owner of hull #247, wrote recently that he had actually gone and installed a winch on the mast to raise the main.  With or without a winch on the mast for the main halyard, many owners go to the mast, raise the main by hand, and only use the cockpit winch for the last few feet.  That’s what I do, and I singlehand a lot.  With crew, I have them tail the halyard which is led through the sheetstopper on the cabin top as I am pulling the main up.  When I’m alone, I raise the main by hand standing at the mast to within a few feet of the top and tail the halyard around one of the cleats on the mast that is used for the end of one of the reef lines.  I then clear the line on deck, go back to the cockpit and pull the halyard through the sheetstopper leaving a few feet loose, go back to the mast and undo the wraps on the cleat, return to the cockpit and hoist the last few feet with the winch.  It sounds complicated, but only takes a few minutes.  With an inexperienced crew, if you are at the mast raising the main, just ask
them to “pull the line” slowly as you are raising the sail.  It should be going through the sheetstopper, which should be closed, so when they let go the halyard stays put.

Your questions asked about raising and reefing the main and your reference was to a Dutchman system, which is for when you drop the sail.  In addition to the Dutchman system, there are lazyjacks.  Both of these work to contain the mainsail on the boom so it doesn’t droop all over the cabin top and the cockpit.  Seems to be a separate question from raising the main.

Reefing is another topic.  We have four lines to reef, two each for the fist and second reef points.  One each for clew and luff.  I like it because it allows independent tension at both points, whereas some folks prefer the single line reefing.  Checkout Harken, Schaefer and other manufacturers catalogs and websites for available hardware and ideas for reefing.

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on April 29, 2001 at 08:14 AM.]

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on April 29, 2001 at 08:15 AM.]

[This message was edited by Stu Jackson #224 1986 "Aquavite" on April 29, 2001 at 08:16 AM.]
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

dave davis

You might want to look at the information in the Feb. 1997 issue of the Tech Notes, Vol 15 #1...It will explain the advantages of leading your halyards directly to the rope clutch without going thru the deck organizer. :eek:
Dave Davis San Francisco, 707, Wind Dragon, 1988, South Beach