Holding tank monitor recommendations?

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Noah on January 05, 2016, 03:42:24 PM
..........seems while applying them to the holding tank is doable, it will be a bit of a challenge and may involve wood cutting, reglassing, etc.

Noah, I recall that the sensors for Dennis' product can be slipped between the plywood and the tank without any destructive demolition.

IIRC, Dennis used to be a vendor on our ships store, and he knows the details of our boats.  Call him, I hear he's very good.

Sure, never easy.  It's a boat!   :D :D :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Noah

Thx, Stu, and all for feedback. I will give Dennis a call to discuss install.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Ken Krawford

Noah, I used a piece of wood about 1/4" thick, 1 1/2" wide and about 3 feet long to attach the sensor tape.  Fold a very small area of the adhesive tape to the bottom of the stick, slide the stick/tape along side the tank and then press the stick towards the tank.  After it's adhered, push downward on the stick to break it free from it's attachment to the bottom of the tape,   The tape has an adhesive that is devilishly sticky so be aware that you only have one chance to get the tape applied to the tank. 
Ken Krawford
C350 Hull 351  2005 Universal M35B

Roc

Noah,
Ken's method is a good way for mounting the strips.  What I did is put the outside tape sensors on the small face of the holding tank, rather than the long face which is against a wood barrier.  The strips are different lengths, which would affect the reading in the very lower range, but for a holding tank, the most important reading is when it starts to get full.  I have found the readings to be pretty accurate, even though the strips are slightly different lengths at the bottom end of the tank.  I have found this location to work fine.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

Jim Hardesty

FWIW.  My tank monitor was on the boat when I bought it.  The strips only go to the top of the tray the tank sits in.  So the monitor doesn't see the first 5 inches in the tank.  Doesn't really make a difference, I only care about the tank getting full.  So if you can't get the strip all the way to the bottom it will still be usable.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Noah

1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig