Catalina 425

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Spencer

2 more pics.

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Braxton

Quote from: Stu Jackson on January 26, 2017, 08:50:21 PM
Quote from: Braxton on January 26, 2017, 07:17:51 PM

1.   That advice runs contrary to the general ethos of most people who frequent this board.

2.   On the plus side, the common rail engines do run remarkably quietly.    I wish we could get the best of both worlds some how.

1.  Not necessarily, Braxton.  Seems we are a bunch of DIY-ers, and if you can't work on a common rail engine, then: doh   :cry4` :shock:.  Not so great, eh?

2.  Quiet?  I mentioned some time ago that I can feel my engine so much through the cockpit floor such that I know when the coupling throws a bolt!  Then I go fix it.  :D  I'd rather have noise I can fix than quiet that I can't.  How about you?  :D

1.    I think were saying the same thing, sorry if I was unclear.  Since we are all DIY-ers then the advice to not work on you fuel system makes them not so great for us.

2.   I'm currently on a series of noise abatement quests on my boat right now.    Over the years loose fittings, miss alignments, bad bearings, bad storage solutions, etc. have created quite the cacophony when my engine runs.   Combine that with the standard clackity-clack of a 30 year old mechanically injected diesel and it can be quite loud.   I have found that the more I can tame the racket the engine makes the more likely I am to get the family out on the boat with me :-).      There are certainly plenty of times that I would choose a diesel that sounds like a gas engine over what I have now.   From what I know about you, you'd get you senses attuned to a different engine quickly enough.

Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

KWKloeber

Damn, the head in the 445 looks nicer than in my motel room.   :shock: :shock:

I'm thinking that anyone who can afford a new 40+ footer, can probably afford a diesel mechanic when necessary?   :rolling

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Quote from: Dave Spencer on January 25, 2017, 11:28:25 AM
There is a notable bowsprit for the anchor that would also provide great mounting for the tack of an asymmetrical spinnaker.  The bowsprit is far longer than anything I've noticed on other Catalinas.

I wonder if the pipe hause could accommodate a retractable pole on one side of the sprit????  Would have been a nice option if not.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.

Noah

[quote KK -- I'm thinking that anyone who can afford a new 40+ footer, can probably afford a diesel mechanic when necessary?   :rolling

If not, certainly a nice pair of oars!
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Roc

At an indoor sailboat show, you miss out on the standing and running rigging....  after all, it is a sailboat!
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

KWKloeber

Holy distribution panels, Batman.  This has more gizmos than our Batmobile!

Noah

Not crazy about the hinge down doors(s) over panels particularly the big panel. Seems like it would be a PIA.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

KWKloeber

I thought exactly the same!!  I saw myself flipping them around so the low ones were held UP nearly vertical, and the other switch panel you can't reach over when sitting on the seat.   I'd have flipped that over so it opened flat against the headliner. 
That will be version 1.2 if they have any sense. 

Amazing isnt it?  Such simple boo-boos.

Quote from: Noah on January 27, 2017, 12:10:32 PM
Not crazy about the hinge down doors(s) over panels particularly the big panel. Seems like it would be a PIA.

Braxton

What's with the two different battery switches?
Braxton Allport
1988 #805, Ballou - Tacoma WA

KWKloeber

Maybe to control two banks -- 4 in a large house and plus a start reserve?  Sorts like this simplified version?

Dave Spencer

Walkaround video taken at the TBS.  (Not by me!)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_D_k6IvAS8

Dave Spencer
C34 #1279  "Good Idea"
Mk 1.5, Std Rig, Wing Keel, M35A Engine
Boat - Midland, Ontario (formerly Lion's Head)
People - London, Ontario

Fred Koehlmann

The boat has 2-8Ds as house bank, just forward of the companion way steps, under the floor boards, and another 8D under the forward berth floor for the windlass. There is room for an optional start battery under floor near the electrical panel/nav area. I suspect that the house and windlass are wired as per the diagram above.

I was told that Catalina located all the batteries, water and fuel tanks low (i.e. under the floor) to lower the center of gravity. even the engine has been moved slightly forward to bring the weight more midships.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Fred Koehlmann on January 27, 2017, 02:05:44 PM
The boat has 2-8Ds as house bank, just forward of the companion way steps, under the floor boards, and another 8D under the forward berth floor for the windlass. There is room for an optional start battery under floor near the electrical panel/nav area. .................

Forgetting the switching for a moment, it would be interesting to determine if the battery tray depth is enough to accommodate the taller golf cart batteries.  As we've learned from Maine Sail, 8Ds are not true deep cycle batteries.  They are also darned heavy.  One of the C355 skippers has redone his boat with golf carts.  IIRC, he had some depth issues to deal with, but managed to do it.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Fred Koehlmann

Zoomed into the images on my phone, and turns out the second one is the engine switch. I'll try to post a few more after I get back from winter camp with scouts.
Frederick Koehlmann: Dolphina - C425 #3, Midland, ON
PO: C34 #1602, M35BC engine