Flexofold prop

Previous topic - Next topic

Ted Pounds

Ian,

I just put one on "MOlly Rose".  So far I've only used it to motor from launch to the slip.   It worked well. I was a little nervous about backing out of the launch well.  Especially as there was a strong crosswind to port and I had just watched a Catalina 30 narrowly miss crashing twice trying to back out.  However "Molly Rose" backed quite nicely.  I gave it a lot of gas and had some starboard rudder in before we started moving and she backed out pretty straight.  No problems slowing her down going into the slip either; maybe just a little more gas required.  I did notice a bit less drag in neutral.  Normally I shift to neutral shortly before turning in and the old fixed 3-blade would gradually slow the boat down. The new one seemed to let it glide more.  As I'd turn into the slip I'd shift to reverse idle and propwalk would help pull the stern to port (I turn to starboard into my slip).  With the Flex-o-fold it takes a little gas to get the same effect.  I'm anxiuos to see how it works under sail.  The word is they're good for 1/2 knot and worth way more then the 6 second PHRF penalty.  Our first club race is on the 17th so I'll get a good measure then of how well she sails.  Meanwhile if you do a search on this board for folding props you'll find some more comments that I used for my decision to buy one.

Ted :cool:
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

Jkar

It is a most excellent purchase.  The only thing wrong with it, which I sent an e-mail to them about, is the installation instructions.  You will need a 30mm deep well socket from Sears, or a 30mm with a 2" extention.  I won't say it has to be Craftsmen but the other three sockets I tried wouldn't fit down the hub.  Once I had the correct socket it took all of 3 hours to pull the old prop, replace the cutless bearing and install the new Flex-o-Fold.  The installation took all of 30min.  One of the best $1000 I have spent on the boat.  It is machined beautifully, and promises to outlast the boat.

Ted Pounds

I found that a 1 3/16" regular socket with an extension bar worked just fine.  Though I did have to try a couple places to get the 1 3/16" socket.  Ended up at Sears too.  

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

sail4dale

Does everyone agree on the pitch and diameter needed?

I keep hearing 15" but 9 or 10 pitch.  One mfr. suggested a 16 "

Ted Pounds

Definitely don't want any larger diameter.  Too little clearance between prop and hull will cause problems.  As for pitch I went with 10" because that's what Flex-o-Fold reccommended.  My old three bade fixed was 9".  Too much pitch will bog down the engine, too little and you won't get up to speed.  From all I've read on this board 9-10" seems to be the ballpark.

Ted ;)
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

rappareems

I installed a flexofold last season and went from dead last in our Club racing fleet to second.  Much more power in reverse and more power in forward than my fixed prop. You do need the right tools to install but not difficult.

Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Mark Cassidy
#232 1986
"Rapparee"
Lake Ontario

rbeecham

Does the Flexofold 3 blade prop eliminate prop walk in reverse?

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD
rbeecham@jersey.net

Ted Pounds

Not entirely, but it did seem to be reduced.

Ted
Ted Pounds
"Molly Rose"
1987 #447

PLKennedy

"Snow Goose" was first launched with one three years ago.  Much reduced propwalk in reverse, and minimum drag.  Susan and I enthusiastically endorse it.  Ours is a 15x9.

Peter