Starboard fresh water tank vent

Previous topic - Next topic

stevewitt1

Hello All. 

When I fill my aft water tank and it gets full water spits out the vent onto the cockpit floor.  I have never seen any sign of water from my vent for the forward tank.  I found this to be a stanchion vent as in my waste tank.  One difference is, the stanchion that has the waste tank vent in it also has a small hole on the lower inboard side of the stanchion for the vent to breath.
My water tank stanchion vent has NO such hole and the two lifeline passages appear to have an insert sealed through the opening.
My question:  How does the vent breath?  Should there be a hole in the stanchion?
When the tank fills, water will geyser back up but never any sign of water from the vent.

Steve

Stu Jackson

Steve, there should be a hole in the stanchion.  Take the cushions off the saloon starboard side and look at your water tank.  Is there a vent on the tank?
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

The vent tube runs about 1/2 way between the base and 1st lifeline, (at least mine did - had to remove to weld a crack at the base.)   You can drill a 1/4" hole so the spiders can crawl in and block the vent -- using a cobalt drill, low speed, high pressure, and a cutting oil with sulpher in it to dissipate the heat.

kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

KWKloeber

Oh yeah also, waste vent points inboard, feesh vent points overboard.

k
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

Ron Hill

Steve : The starboard water tank vented stanchion is identical to the port side holding tank vented stanchion.
So remove the settee cushions and the cut out boards and follow the 1/2" hose vent to the base of the stanchion.

Also both vented stanchions should have the vent hole to the inside.  The vent hole should be about 3/4" high up from the base of the stanchion.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

patrice

Hi,

You get water comming out from the vent at the back water tank, the vent is lower than the intake.
The vent from the front tank is higher than intake, so you won't get water comming out from this one.

This could be the reason.

1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Ron Hill

Pat & Guys : If you happen to hold a hose against the fill fitting that is filling (with pressure) the starboard tank will over fill and water will squirt out of that hole in the starboard stanchion!! 
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

my boat came with the vent holes outboard.  Maybe a PO changed them, but I don't think so because the life lines look original.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

mregan

I got rid of the vented stanchion and put a thru hull right below the rub rail.  Tied both tanks into the same vent line.