Keels, Tall Rigs, etc.

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

I grew up sailing on an early Catalina 30 and I think it is a great boat for its footprint.  However, I really think it is a day-sailing boat.  It is not going to be comfortable for extended stays or cruising.  You can do it but the C34 is a much better cruising boat in essentially every way.  Faster, more comfortable under power and sail, living space where you are not right on top of each other, etc.  Much better to stretch and buy the boat that will really fit your needs - it is far cheaper than trying to upgrade a boat that will never be what you want it to be. 

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Carolina Soul

I am a current owner of a C34 in Portsmouth, VA, traded up from by C30 a few years ago.  Loved them both. Bought both of them from Ron McLean at Bay Harbor Brokerage at Willoughby Spit.  Some of your technical questions may be a bit beyond me - I just enjoy being out on the water and don't split hairs over performance, but if I can help contact me at billmathus@netzero.net.

Hokie

Thank you all for your help and please know that every comment is very helpful and appreciated. I think I will up my budget and try to get away from keels and sail area but you must understand that I'm an old E-22 owner and those boats spoil you; however at 59 I need something a little more tame and with more space. One of the two 34's that I'm looking at in Virginia was listed as "3'9" Draft, 5'4" Depth". I assume his numbers are off and this is a winged-keel boat and hoped someone could advise me. Also if a surveyor provided a purchase number would that be considered to be pretty close to market value??

Thanks,
Hokie

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hokie on April 27, 2015, 05:05:51 PM

1    One of the two 34's that I'm looking at in Virginia was listed as "3'9" Draft, 5'4" Depth". I assume his numbers are off and this is a winged-keel boat and hoped someone could advise me.

2     Also if a surveyor provided a purchase number would that be considered to be pretty close to market value??

Hokie,

You're welcome, glad we could help.

1          Wing keel depth was originally listed at 3-10, later revised to 4-3.  fin keel is 5-7.  He's wacky.

2    Not necessarily.  Any number is subject to negotiation after a survey by YOU, not one somebody else provided.  If you're serious, have a survey done on your own dime, and BE THERE when the surveyor is doing his work.

Good luck.

If you can find out the boat name or hull #, some of us might know the boat and can help, too.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Hokie

Stu,
I do know the boats name and hull number as it is on the survey provided by the broker and I'd be glad to provide it to you but would I be violating the trust of the broker who provided it and would it be considered ethical. I'd love to hear from someone who knows the boat but I want to do the right thing.

Thanks,
Hokie

Noah

Sounds fishy to me. All that info (hull number, boat name, etc.) should be public knowledge once it is "listed for sale" by a broker. As far as a survey goes... an old survey provided by the seller should be taken with a grain of salt, unless very recent, then it still needs to be verified. Usually a buyer's survey is only undertaken once a  sale price is agreed (contigent upon survey) and offer is accepted. Don't know how you would get a "surveyor's value" prior to those steps. Even if you got one, value (to you) is what you are willing to pay. Price is set by the selller. Both don't necessarily jibe.
1990 hull #1014, San Diego, CA,  Fin Keel,
Standard Rig

Hokie

Hull number: CTYP0797F888, year 1988 C34, name: Stormalong, location: Deltaville, Virginia, date of survey: February, 2014. Nothing fishy about it to me but then I've never used a broker to purchase a boat.

Thanks,
Hokie

Clay Greene

A surveyor's value often comes into play once the parties have negotiated a purchase price and the buyer is financing the transaction.  The lender wants to know that the boat has sufficient value to cover the loaned amount in case the buyer defaults on the loan.  It's usually a results-driven number - the surveyor knows the number he had to come up with to make the transaction work.  

A broker can get comparable sales from Yachtworld (only brokers have access to the sale prices).  The rule of thumb I have seen is that boats typically sell for 10-15 percent below list price unless they are really in great condition (less of a discount) or were seriously overpriced (more of a discount).  

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Hokie on April 27, 2015, 07:03:09 PM
Hull number: CTYP0797F888, year 1988 C34, name: Stormalong, location: Deltaville, Virginia, date of survey: February, 2014. Nothing fishy about it to me but then I've never used a broker to purchase a boat.

Thanks,
Hokie

The boat was last a member of the IA in 2007.  Perhaps by now this is a second or third or more owner boat.  Or he just let his membership lapse.

The original owner seemed to have had it for a long time.  He was a member of Fleet 12, so someone here may know of the boat.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

chuck53

OK, the boat is CG documented and listed with a draft of 5'3" meaning it is a fin.  However, no guarantee that is correct as my boat is listed with a 5'3" draft as well and it is a wing.

Hokie

Can the boat be easily rigged for a spinnaker and why are so any masts/booms painted white?

chuck53

The boat has an extra halyard to run up a spinnaker.
As far as the boom, mast being painted white, that's the way they come from the factory.

Ron Hill

Hokie : The boat can easily be rigged for a spinnaker - look in WiKi for that discussion.  

As Stu said the wing is listed as 4'3" draft and the fin is listed as 5'7".  In reality you need to add a couple of more inches to the draft after you load on water, fuel and your other cruising stuff!!

If you plan on mainly staying in the Chesapeake you definitely want a wing - or you'll definitely be watching the tide!!!  (about 3 feet)

BTW, we all paid extra to get a white painted mast!!  Wish I had had the unpainted mast!

A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Most boats have white painted masts and booms.  Some came anodized and I've seen at least one in black (ugly!!! :cry4`).   I haven't checked the old price lists (in the wiki) but could be options on earlier boats.  IIRC, the Mark IIs are anodized.

Clay Greene

As to the spinnaker, there should be a crane at the masthead at which you can attach a block.  The spinnaker halyard exits the mast several feet down and runs through the block.  That keeps the spinnaker halyard away from the headsail foil for the furler.  I don't think many boats came rigged for symmetrical spinnakers, so if that is your interest, you should look to see if there are chase lines for the uphaul and downhaul.