M35BC engine coolant pump & Kubota Block Equivalents

Previous topic - Next topic

John Langford

I was chatting with a very knowledgeable diesel mechanic and he mentioned that the Kubota engine coolant pump for the M35BC was less than half the price of the Universal replacement. Has anyone had to replace this pump and discovered the appropriate Kubota crossover number?

If you had a big enough tractor sales operation in the neighbourhood it might be possible to bring the pump in and compare with those available. But you need the exact number if ordering online as Kubota produces a number of variations (different connector locations) on this basic pump.

Beta Engines makes no effort to hide the identity of the Kubota engine which they marinize, even providing all the original tags and parts information with a new information. I wish that Universal/Westerbeke was as forthcoming.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

SailingJerry

I ordered one at the beginning of last year's sailing season. I just called a Kubota dealer and they mailed it to me. Didn't remember having any hassle  ordering it over the phone. I'll see if I can find the numbers for you.
Jerry
There is NOTHING--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.    Kenneth Grahame

John Langford

Hi Jerry
I would love to have the numbers and even the coordinates of the Kubota dealer. Thanks for taking the trouble.

Cheers
John

Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

KWKloeber

Which Kubota engine block or tractor model is that engine built on?

Kk
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain

kakers

From the C-36 site:

Kubota Equivalents

Universal M-25 is a Kubota Block D850
Universal M-25XP is a Block D950
Universal M-25XPB is a Block D1005-D
Universal M-30 is a Block D1101 & D1102
Universal M4-30 is a Block Y850
Universal M-35, M-35A is a Block V1200
Universal M-35B is block V1305

Our Universal engines are marinized versions of the Kubota tractor engine. For instance, the D850, (M25) is in the B1550 Kubota tractor, the D950 engine (M25XP) is in the B7100 and B7200 Kubota tractors. The M35 engine (V1200) is in the B2150 and B9200 Kubota tractors, the M35B (V1305) is in the B2710.

M35 Thermostat:
180 Degree, Kubota #15531-73010
Gasket, Kubota #16851-73270

M35 Circulating Pump:
Pump: Kubota #16251-73034
Gasket: Kubota #16239-73430

M35 Injectors:
Kubota #700065209

Evidently there are two different pumps that fit this block - one has a 2-1/4" impeller and the other 2-3/4".  Here's an excellent blog post from a C-36 owner on the subject: http://sv-silhouette.blogspot.ca/2014/01/the-engine-repair-november-2013.html

John Langford

That is extremely helpful. Thanks for taking the trouble to post.

This is definitely a post that we want to keep in the tech notes.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

KWKloeber

Hey Stu,

I couldn't find it in the engine section or I would have added this note...

We have to be cautious of ordering Kubota parts for the Universal engines based on tractor model numbers.  The tractor model numbers are a guide,  but are not absolute.  There are parts that are different between different versions of a given tractor model. 

For one example, the gear case cover and some of it's component parts differ between the tractors with gear drive versus hydrostatic drive that have the M-25 and M-25XP equivalent engines (Kubota D850, D950 engines).  Although both of two covers are used on the base 850/950 block, the two parts used on the different type tractor drives CANNOT be interchanged.   The configuration of the oil filter receivers are vastly different.  The gear-driven model fits the Universal engines, the hydrostatic model cover does not.

That's just one example that I have lived through, and there are likely other differences in parts interchangeability within a given tractor model, and also for tractors that have variants of the newer Universal B-series engines.

-Ken K
Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did.
So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor.  Catch the tradewinds in your sails.
Explore.  Dream.  Discover.   -Mark Twain