Speed/depth transducer location

Previous topic - Next topic

tsteele

I am replacing the old Raytheon D600 that were installed on my 34 with a Nexus system.  The original transducers were located aft of the keel and I would like to move the new ones forward to get them into a better flow area.  It appears that the easiest location is in the locker under the forward berth, but this seems to be too far forward and would have the transducers out of the water quit often in rough seas.  I'm looking at cutting an access panel just behind the forward bulkhead and installing them there just forward of the keel.  Has anyone else tried this?  I'd appreciate any feedback on this idea.

Tom & Patti Steele
Windseeker

rbeecham

Both the knotmeter and depthsounder transducers are located under the forward berth on my 1999 C34.  They seem to work ok there.

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD
rbeecham@jersey.net

Jim Price

My analog and dogital transucers are all located in forward v-berth and work fine for me.
Jim Price
"LADY DI", 1119
Lake Lanier, GA

Stu Jackson

Member Profile

Ron

Seems a new feature of this modified message board is a simple click on the name of the respondent.  Left click on the person's name, and you'll get a member profile.  Most folks have signed up and identify their boat data.  I just discovered this feature.

Stu
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Mike and Theresa Vaccaro

You might consider mounting the transducers under the sole in the v-berth cabin.  If you remove the teak/holly ply, you'll expose the fiberglass sole underneath.  We cut an 8 x 10" hole in the fiberglass with a jig saw to expose the hull and mounted the bronze Standard Horizon transducers immediately underneath, along the centerline of the hull. We then cut a 10 x 12" opening in the plywood.  After drilling a 1" "grab" hole, the plywood lays atop the flange created by the fiberglass sole underneath.  This allows unimpeaded access to the transducer, and swaping the paddlewheel with the dummy plug takes about 30 seconds, and it's not necessary to remove any seat cushions.

tsteele

Thanks for all the great input.  I'll be at the boat this weekend and will finalize the location.  I hadn't thought of the V-Berth location as I thought there would not be enough height for the thru-hulls.  
Tom Steele
Windseeker

Tom & Patti Steele
Windseeker