We lost our rudder - help needed

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertSchuldenfrei

Christeen & Franco, who are partners in the Esprit du Vent, LLC had the boat out this weekend.  I am sick in bed, but I wanted to post this today.  Somehow Christeen has lost her forum posting ability, so I am filling in today.

Hi Forum,

So I need some input on a recent event. To begin, we have a 1987 Catalina 34 wing keel. We LOST our rudder... Yes, lost it. We did not strike anything or ground now sailing it hard. We were in the protected Intracoastal waterway motoring, we were waiting for the bridge when suddenly, we lost all steering! Of course right directly under the bridge. We managed to forward and reverse (with only a minor bump on the bow pulpit into the piling but no damage) letting the current push us out from under the bridge. We managed to use the current to GET close to a dock and tied up.  All without hitting another boat! But it was such a scary event and we were lucky we weren't either out at sea in the Gulf Stream or coming into the inlet. I am so thankful nobody got hurt and no other boats damaged in the whole ordeal.

Once tied up we went to look under the boat and the entire rudder was GONE! It fell right off the boat just before the bridge. We then towed the boat to are dock so we can figure out what to do. By the way, there is no water infiltration.

Anyway... I read of a case or two of rudder loss on the forums, but most were after a hard hit or heavy weather or grounding, none of which apply to us. After further inspection, it seems the shaft corroded and it just broke off. I have photos of under the boat, which I may post later. We are really in shock and not sure how this can happen? Are there any other experiences with this?

We are not sure where to begin. I know a call to Catalina is in order. And I know they sell the retro fit elliptical rudders which I assume is the way to go. Any other advice you guys might have in the road forward would be great.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Bob
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

Stu Jackson

Photos from Bob,

Hey bob... Franco went to the boat today and did a full inspection and cleared out the back locker so we have full access to see everything and went under the boat...The locker and rudder mechanism looks solid and perfectly water tight... all seals look to be holding well (I attached photos...)   The underwater inspection revealed it (the shaft) just broke off! Like just broke off (looks like a corrosion issue) I have attached pics...several photos (some are of the grass growth franco so painstakingly removed) then of the missing rudder, close ups of the broken shaft and of the rudder housing in the aft compartment...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson

lazybone

Ciao tutti

S/V LAZYBONES  #677

patrice

Ouchhh!!!

Nice to see that they remained calm and handle the situation nicely.

Question, did they saw the rudder floating behind, around  ??   :shock:
1989 MKI #970
TR, WK, M25XP
   _/)  Free Spirit
~~~~~~

Clay Greene

Wow, that's amazing.  Glad everyone is OK.  Hard to believe that a stainless steel rudder post would fail in that fashion but it obviously can. 

A new C34 rudder from CY was $2518 (plus shipping) in 2012.   It took them about a month from the date of the order for the new rudder to arrive.  Also factor in that you likely will need to pay someone to cut down the rudder stock and drill holes for the quadrant and the emergency tiller cap.  CY sends the rudder purposely too long and without holes drilled so that it can be customized to fit your boat.  The new rudder stock is double-walled (probably seems like a good idea to you right now) so it is something that requires specialized tools. 

You could also try Foss rudders in Florida.  They make foam rudders that I believe I are cheaper than what you would get from CY.  I have no experience with them or their product but others on the forum might. 

1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Ron Hill

Bob : WOW!  The first thing that I'd check for is stray voltage. 

The first thing that is obvious is the stern light and its wiring.
We had a Fleet 12 member that had stray voltage that was coming out of the rudder column at the water line.  That was over 20 years ago and as I recall the culprit voltage was from a pod instrument, going over to the steering column, then down and coming out the stainless column at the water line.  He caught it at night by seeing a small spark and then looked at/found the pitted column at the water line.   

Make sure that you save the top of the column and use it as a pattern for the steering quadrant and tiller cap holes.   Good Luck
Ron, Apache #788

RobertSchuldenfrei

Thanks for the suggestion.  We are following up on all ideas.  In answer to Patrice's question:  No, it did not float and is resting on the bottom of the Intracoastal Waterway.  Fortunately, everyone is safe and sound.  We have an excellent Boatwright who is a member of our sailing club.  With the application of time we should be in good shape.  Bob

Quote from: Ron Hill on May 12, 2014, 09:28:14 AM
Bob : WOW!  The first thing that I'd check for is stray voltage. 

The first thing that is obvious is the stern light and its wiring.
We had a Fleet 12 member that had stray voltage that was coming out of the rudder column at the water line.  That was over 20 years ago and as I recall the culprit voltage was from a pod instrument, going over to the steering column, then down and coming out the stainless column at the water line.  He caught it at night by seeing a small spark and then looked at/found the pitted column at the water line.   

Make sure that you save the top of the column and use it as a pattern for the steering quadrant and tiller cap holes.   Good Luck
Robert Schuldenfrei
Esprit du Vent - #422

kwaltersmi

Wow. Sobering post and photos.  Glad you weren't out at sea with the sails up.  Great job getting her safely to a dock too.
'87 C34 TR/WK M25XPB
SailFarLiveFree

mark_53

Sounds like a good thing to inspect carefully.  How would one inspect for this problem?  Would it have been visible during a haul out or can a diver inspect for this?
Also, if you lose a rudder while in weather, what is the best course of action?

Ron Hill

Mark : 1. Pray!!
         2. Hove to?
         3. Get on the radio and cell phone
          4. Try #1 again while waiting for rescue!
Ron, Apache #788