pulleys

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyC

I am considering installing a 100 amp alternator on our 34 MKII # 1456, which has the Westerbeke M35A motor.  Balmar says I should be driving the alternator with a half inch belt.  A check with Westerbeke and Kubota came up negative as far as availability of a half inch replacement for the 3/8 inch pulleys that are currently on the engine and water pump.  Anybody out there know of a source for appropriate pulleys?  I doubt that we are the first one to be doing this upgrade.

rbeecham

I have hull # 1430 and had a balmar 100 amp installed over three years ago.  I also checked with everyone and received conflicting answers.  I stayed with the original size belt and have had no problems.  I have a M35BC engine, I would double check yours, as I don't think they were installing M35A's from my hull forward.

Dick Beecham

Refuge
C34 - #1430
Rock Hall, MD
rbeecham@jersey.net

jentine

I have a 100 amp. alternator from the Battery Shack.  I was not instructed to use a larger belt, nor have I installed one.  The alternator takes the standard belt that came with the engine and I have had no difficulties.
Perhaps some other manufacturers should be consulted.  Balmar is not the only manufacturer of high amp. alternators.
Jim Kane