Keeping Transmission in Gear while not under power?

Previous topic - Next topic

Clay Greene

If it makes you feel better, this issue is not specific to Universal and Hurth.  Our new boat has a Yanmar engine and the manual is completely silent on where the transmission should be left when the boat is under sail.  Not a word.  No label on the transmission either, which also is a Yanmar proprietary brand.  They issued a technical bulletin several years ago that indicated the transmission should be left in neutral because of wear on the transmission "cones" if left in reverse (unless you have a folding or feathering prop).  This apparently took everyone by surprise, including Yanmar technicians and distributors, who had been telling their customers to leave the transmission in reverse while sailing. 

If you have a fixed prop, you'll have a lot less less drag while sailing if you leave the transmission in neutral (according to Flexofold, a fixed prop in gear produces 50 percent of the drag of the entire rest of the hull) and no risk of accidentally starting the engine in gear.  That decides the issue for me.  I agree that the cutlass bearing wear should be a non-issue. 
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin

scotty

I also have a Yanmar (Catalina 400, MKII).  This thread got me curious, and I was able to contact Yanmar who sent a website -  http://www.shaftlok.com/YANMAR_MSA08-003_Neutral+Sailing.pdf  -  advising that on these engines, the recommendation is that they be sailed in neutral, as Claygar says.  So it was useful to me to have this thread.  One reason I keep on this site is that the volume of topics, and the number of replies, allows opportunities to gain new insights.  Good work, All.

Thanks,
Scotty
Scotty

Mike and Joanne Stimmler

I have actually started my engine with the engine in reverse more than once and although it was a little sluggish starting, it did start with no "obvious" problems. Anyone know of the problems with this. Of course no one would want to do this on purpose but what dammage will it cause?

Mike
Mike and Joanne Stimmler
Former owner of Calerpitter
'89 Tall Rig Fin keel #940
San Diego/Mission Bay
mjstimmler@cox.net

Stu Jackson

Mike, I'm sure many of us have done that, too, me included.  No damage as long as you don't do it all the time!  :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : Don't think there is any real damage to the engine as long as the throttle is cracked an inch (like it should be), but you're going to be moving when you hadn't planned to!!
Ron, Apache #788