Refrigeration

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken Juul

I'm pretty sure mine is low on freon R134.  Unfortunately no way to recharge without cutting lines and adding a fill port then vacuuming out the system and recharging.  Not worth the effort for an old system.  Limping along waiting for the Boat show.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

captran

I as so impressed with sea frost, or is it sea freeze? out of Bellingham.  I called and he came right down to the boat.  took out the old alder barber.  although he offer to switch out just the thermostat, which is as it turned out what the problem was.  but the one he makes was a much smaller unit.  although it is a little noisy at times when the fan kicks in, louder than the old alder barber.  but I think less battery and great cooling, freezing.  so all in all, glad I replaced it.  prevents one more thing from ruining a vacation.
Randy Thies
Voyager  1997 #1345
was Florida, now Anacortes Wa

Andrew Harvey

Likely the next shoe to drop on my boat.
Steve, how were you able to work in that space ?
What is the power consumption of the Nova Cool compared to the AB?

Andrew Harvey

karista

Steve!
A word of aution re your Condensor Location! It is located underneath both Scubber hoses, both of mine were split right at the bend resulting in big water leaks whenever it rained. Due to its location these leaks were not easy to find. In addition you have several other close by hose connection, all are potential water leak candidates, your electronics most likely would be damaged in the event of a water leak.
I replaced my A/B unit last year and mounted the Condensor on the Starboard side aft locker platform which was recomended by Catalina. This location provides good ventilation and ease of service.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Steve W10

Andrew,
I know a lot of guys dread the idea of pulling off those aft teak panels, but I do it all the time; takes me maybe 15 minutes from when I get the idea, to get off the steering quadrant cover, port and aft teak panels, less if I use an electric driver.
During previous improvements to the boat I also relocated the instrument wiring so it would run outboard rather than under my muffler and then outboard of my aft water tank so that would come out easily too.  I pulled my tank years ago to put in an access port.
As for power consumption, I don't have the manual handy; the Nova Kool site says 2.2 - 6.6 amps which depends on the application.  Although I haven't measured it, I'm sure I'm pretty near that 2.2 amps with our fairly small icebox (with added insulation).  These guys say "1.5 to 2.5 amps per hour in an adequately insulated ice box."
I suspect all manufacturers are all pretty close.

Karista, nice install.
I appreciate your concern, thanks, but....
The current location (actually between the two scupper hoses) is about 18" from where Catalina put the original, nice and low where the coolest air is (and to keep that sports car handling :D).
Every hose on my boat has been replaced.  Not to say that no fitting could leak, but I do a pretty thorough inspection beginning and end of every season.
I also like it low to leave more space in the aft lazarette for accessible storage with no fear of damaging the unit.  Although I haven't had to make use of it yet, it's there when I need it.

The two biggest concerns to me for my install were 1 - Best insulation for the Icebox I could do, and 2 - Coolest and most abundant air over that compressor and condenser.

A few clowns, like the guy at Ray's Marine told me that I couldn't do 17' of copper tubing, but when I spoke to knowledgeable professionals they said there was zero concern – guess I'm proving them right.

As for service, if I ever have to do that in the next 15 years, it really doesn't take that long to get at it, either from the top or through the cabin.

Would not do a thing differently, 3 years of bliss.

Edit: links did not come out in line, here's Nova Kool, http://www.novakool.com/products/conversion_units.htm
here's the "These guys" one, http://www.marineoutfitters.ca/index.cfm?category=11375|11233&product=17281466&code=Nova%20Kool%20LT-201-FL

BlueWind

My 16-year old Adler Barbour stopped working earlier this year. I had it in the yard later and asked them to diagnose the problem and they told me it was the compressor -- not a small thing. I told a friend in the marina who is an electrician and he checked it and said he thought it was the electronic module. Further, he said there's a former AD tech who lives in Florida who will bench test your module for the cost of shipping, and if bad will sell you a new one for $150. I sent it to him,he tested it and said it was bad. I bought a new module from him, installed it and the box has been working like a charm ever since. Just an idea before you replace the whole unit. If you want the name of the AD guy in Florida and his contact info, let me know and I'll dig it out of my e-mail.

Stu Jackson

Quote from: Carl Crothers on September 01, 2013, 01:19:48 PM
If you want the name of the AD guy in Florida and his contact info, let me know and I'll dig it out of my e-mail.

Carl, that would be helpful, and I'll link it to the Critical Upgrades page.  Thanks.

Would that be Richard Kollmann?  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6630.msg43766.html#msg43766
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

John Langford

Great thread. Thanks for the information.

Has anyone done an accurate measurement of the length of copper tube provided by AB to go from the starboard lazarette locker of a Mk II to the reefer in the galley. It is certainly more than 12 ft (the standard length provided by most manufacturers and less than 20 ft by my rough measure. But if I need to get a custom length I would like to be able to order it with confidence before tearing the old unit out.
Cheers
John
"Surprise"
Ranger Tug, 29S

Stu Jackson

Hi, John.  IIRC, it's the 16 foot length, the "usual option" from most vendors.  However, because the orientation of your unit may be off 90 degrees from others (my unit faces aft, I've seen ones facing amidships) that critical last few inches may be different.  Meausre once, cut twice...
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

BlueWind

Carl, that would be helpful, and I'll link it to the Critical Upgrades page.  Thanks.

Would that be Richard Kollmann?  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6630.msg43766.html#msg43766
[/i][/i]

Stu, that's correct. His e-mail is richard@kollmann-marine.com

Ken Juul

Follow up.  After the advice here and on other forums, I stopped by the Sea Frost booth at the Boat Show.  They sold me.  I called Clive, he is one of the most helpful folks you will talk too.  Got the freezer bin without the lid.  Installed it and turned it on.  Set it on max cold (at the dock).  Next morning everything in the icebox was frozen.  Cut the thermostat back to 1/4, that seems to be about right for fall temps in the Chesapeake.  Last night was the first night running only on batteries since the install.  Woke up this morning with only 10% of battery capacity gone (link lite) compared to the 50-60% used with the old compressor.  Can't say enough good about it.  Probably paid about $300 more than the AB system.  It is worth it.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA