Adler Barbour Refrigeration vs. Frigoboat

Previous topic - Next topic

karista

My original Adler Barbour Compressor will no longer turn on, replaced the electronic Module, but did not solve the problem. :cry4`
I am now planning to install a new system. Practical Sailor recently rated the Frigoboat Capri 35F Condenser as their top recommended model. They tested the Adler Barbour CU-100, and the comparable Seafrost Models. The Frigoboat Compressor is slightly smaller but it got high marks for quality construction and energy usage.
Would be interested in getting feedback from actual users.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Brad Young

I know this does not answer your question. However, when my Adler Barbour died.
I bought a Technautics Cold Blue (Cold Plate). It very runs well even here even in the,
some would say HOT Sea of Cortez. I do have some problems. If I get my beer to close to the
Cold Pate the beer will freeze. Beer in my ice cream is not as bad as it sounds.

http://www.technauticsinc.com/blue.htm
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

Stu Jackson

Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

karista

Quote from: Stu Jackson on October 10, 2011, 10:00:05 AM
Try asking here:  http://www.kollmann-marine.com/index.html

Stu!
I had been in Contact with Dick Kollman, who provided excellent assistance in diagnosing my problem on my existing Adler Barbour Cold Machine.  ( Compressor would no start up)! After following all of his steps we determined it must be the Module, which I sent to Dick Kollman as he tests these for free! He reported that the Module had a short and needed to be replaced! So I bought a new 4-Pin Module from him ($150), unfortunately it did not work.
He provides NO recommendations for any current system! So, I ordered a new Adler Barbour Cold Machine 4 weeks ago from Defender, however I still do not have a installed system. I am now on my third Evaporator which is due tomorrow. Had to return the first Evaporator as it had many misdrilled holes, missing items and appeared to have been a customer return. The second one also had misdrilled mounting holes, missing items and the cooling lines were 2.5 Ft shorter than specified, thus they are too short!
Defender has been very responsive and helpful in getting replacements shipped.
Bernd, 1990- Hull 1012, Gulfport, FL

Roland Gendreau

When I purchased "Gratitude" 6 years ago, the Adler Barbour refrigeration unit was inoperative. I replaced it with a SeaFrost unit.  One of the main reasons I selected the Seafrost unit was the packaging of the compressor unit , in a fiberglass enclosure. I felt that this packaging would go a long ways to reducing the corrosion that the original unit suffered from as it is installed in the starboard/aft lazerette (Gratitude is a walk thru transom model).

The only drawback of the Seafrost unit is that there is no freezer section in the refrigerator box, as it is a plate type unit.  You can hang ice cube trays on the plate which works ok, but you really cannot keep ice cream.

As for energy usage,  my 24 hour energy usage during the summer (as monitored through my Link panel) is about 56 amp hours, of which about  48 is for the refrigeration.  I dont have access to the Practical Sailor article, so I dont know how this comapares to the Frigoboat

Roland Gendreau
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI

Roland Gendreau
1992 MK 1.5
Gratitude #1183
Bristol, RI