Pedestal steering knob

Previous topic - Next topic

mregan

I found a knob on my pedestal that locks the wheel in place when tightened.  Can this be used while under sail/motoring or is it only to be used at anchor/docking.

RV61

Before I had an autohelm I would  it when motoring in light seas or sailing in light winds for very short periods of time when single handing the boat   and had to go below for something or use the head. The knob the locks on the pedastal is also known as a wheel brake. I use the autohelm now.
Rick V
Interlude
1986 Hull #237
Lake Erie

Stu Jackson

You can use it for both.  We were moored fore and aft to buoys (not anchored by the bow alone) in a cove yesterday, the cove gets some wicked currents, and without the wheel brake engaged the wheel would turn violently.  We use it for short periods when motoring.

One suggestion:  you don't need to crank it all the way down to engage, just turn it enough to create the proper friction for the use.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

mre : As Stu said you can use it for both - BUT:

Just remember it will hold the rudder where it is locked and there is no compensation for wind or current drift!! 
That's why most of us have some kind of "auto pilot".  A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Ken Juul

If the wind is light, as it often is on the Chesapeake, I use it all the time.  The autopilot, even with the response turned down, can get annoying.  A little bit of friction holds the wheel steady, but still allows easy corrections by hand to stay on course without constantly holding the wheel.  Just remember to loosen it before turning on the autopilot to minimize the forces the AP has to overcome.
Ken & Vicki Juul
Luna Loca #1090
Chesapeake Bay
Past Commodore C34IA

Clay Greene

Just FYI, the brake pads will wear out with extended use. They can be replaced though - I just finished that job a couple of weeks ago. Our old pads were completely smooth and were not gripping much at all.
1989, Hull #873, "Serendipity," M25XP, Milwaukee, Wisconsin