Harken traveler factory-installed?

Previous topic - Next topic

fulvio

There are many, many threads on this forum about the mainsheet traveler, but I have not found this question answered:

Have any new C34s come with a Harken traveler installed by Catalina? 

My 1989 (#929) has one (see pictures), and it had two or three POs.  I have not found any proof that one of the POs might have installed it. Furthermore, it has the same purchase as the Nicro-Fico, so as an "upgrade" it wouldn't offer any advantage.

Ultimately, I'd like to upgrade to the Garhauer traveler, and it would be nice if I didn't have to replace the track.  Mine has three through-bolts on each side.

Thanks for any insight!
929 Soliton 1989
Seattle, WA

Ron Hill

I believe that all of the C34s had a Garhauer traveler when they left the Factory.
Ron, Apache #788

Roc

You might call Garhauer to see if their traveller cars will fit on the existing Harken track.
Roc - "Sea Life" 2000 MKII #1477.  Annapolis, MD

scotty

Harken also has some really fine gear.  There might be an upgrade that would fit on their track, and also fit your needs.  A call to them might give you some ideas.
Scotty

Ron Hill

fulvio : If there isn't anything wrong with your Harken traveler system, I'd keep it and put those "Boat Bucks" toward a Garhauer ridged vang!!

A thought. 
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

I agree with Ron, 'cept I'd spend the $$ on a 6:1 purchase for your traveler control lines.  Guido may be able to do it, or Harken certainly can.  If you have a dodger consider a sheave on the end cars and fairleads and can cleats on the aft end of the cabintop.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

fulvio : The reason that I mention the rigid vang is that I found with a rigid vang I use the traveler alot less.  Now I let out the mainsheet line rather than move the traveler.  Try it with your 4:1 before you spring for a 6:1 new traveler.

A thought
Ron, Apache #788

Phil Spicer

We did the upgrade to the MT-UB2 the first year it came out. The wife really likes it, easy for her to move the main in a heavy blow. Too bad the price has gone up. You might try a good deal at one of the boat shows. I sold the old travler to a Cat-30 owner in our sail club. It offset the price a little.
Phil & Marsha,Sandusky Sailing Club. Steamboat is #789,tall/wing-Unv M25XP/Hurth ZF 50 trans.