How's your dinghy fit?

Previous topic - Next topic

PK

I'm looking for some opinions about how well the SB-310 dinghy from WM would fit on the bow.  Ideally I'd opt for the SB-275 but we found a good deal on the 310.  I'm a little concerened about the length.  The specs say it's 10'-2", but that includes the tubes past the transom.  I figure we would snug it up to the mast upside down on the bow.  Does this leave you enough room to play with the anchor with the anchor locker open?  Would love to hear from anyone who has a 10'-2" dinghy.  How's it work for you?  Pics would be great if you have them!

Stu Jackson

Quote from: PK on March 12, 2012, 01:12:47 PMThe specs say it's 10'-2", but that includes the tubes past the transom.  I figure we would snug it up to the mast upside down on the bow.  Does this leave you enough room to play with the anchor with the anchor locker open?  Would love to hear from anyone who has a 10'-2" dinghy.  How's it work for you?  Pics would be great if you have them!

We have a Cadet Fastroller 310.  Yes, it works that way on the foredeck.  I anchor a lot and there is room to move around, you just have to pick the side you wanna go on first!   :D  Sorry, no pictures, but it DOES work.  

For pictures, try this:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3631.0.html

If you get an air floor:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,545.0.html

When it comes to dinghies, usually bigger is better, but it depends on where you are planning to use it.  If it's only Angel Island to shore, get a small one.  If you wanna go to the Delta, get a bigger one, 'cuz the little one won't work in the Delta, but the bigger one will work at Angel Island.
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Ron Hill

Guys : On dink sizing -- the longer the dink the more HP is needed to move it through the water, the heavier it is to lift and the more room it takes up on the fordeck.

I like a 8.5' rib which will carry 4 people and still get up on plane with 2 people.    A few thoughts
Ron, Apache #788

Barry White

We have a 10'-9" (overall length) Inflatable with high pressure air floor which we carry inverted on the foredeck, transom tight to mast. In this position there is room to walk around port or starboard, and to easily access the anchor locker. I have a three point harness that I made from 1" webbing, that allows me to singlehandedly launch and retrieve over the side. We use a 2.5 hp outboard (weighs 27 lbs), which is easy to handle, and is adequate for tender service. Inflatable weighs just under 100 lbs. The low power for low weight is a tradeoff that works fine for us.

Cheers,
Barry   

PK

Thanks for the replies.  Being on a budget, like everyone, we're looking used for our dinghy, so this limits the choices some and makes compromise a must.  People seem to hold on to their RIBs or want a lot of $$ for them.  Our though process went something like this...
1. I WANT a 10' RIB w/ 15 hp.  That cost waaay to much. 
2. A shorter RIB w/ 8-10 HP would be great.  Still too much, really hard to find used.
3. A longer inflatable, preferably hypalon, w/ 10 hp would be good.  We're getting close to the price range.  People seem to hold on to their hypalon rafts for along time, so most of the used ones are 10 years old.
4. A longer used non-hypalon infaltable w/ 8 hp would work.  (This is the price/availability range we find ourselves in)
5. A 9'ish non-hypalon inflatable w/ 4hp, new... that's what we can afford.
It's all about compromise :?  I'll try to remember to let everyone know where we end up.

MarkT

We have an Achillies Hypalon 9'-8" (I think) with air floor and a 5HP outboard.
It is light enough for one person to get it onto the foredeck with the help of a lift from the halyard. With two people it will plane quite easily.

We have been very happy with it though the tradeoff with a air floor is that it is not able to take any abuse. For the weekend sailing with family that we do it is a very good dinghy. If I needed to use the dinghy for hauling stuff back and forth to the boat and for carrying objects that could damage an air floor I'd look at either the RIB or plywood floor.

Mark Tamblyn

Jim Hardesty

After much thinking I bought a West Marine 8' roll-up (the cheep one with a slat floor) and a 3 hp motor.  The price was real good, or I wouldn't have bought it.   I either roll it up in the bag that it came in and store it in front of the mast, or tow it.  It only takes me 20 min. to retrieve, roll, bag, and lash it down.  Same with launching.  It works real well for 2 adults.  The thing that it isn't good at is rowing.  It's light and no keel.  So it's not perfect, but it works for me.
Some friends have bought from here.    http://www.boatstogo.com/
I was going to buy one from there but the guy at West Marine gave me a deal.
Jim
Jim Hardesty
2001 MKII hull #1570 M35BC  "Shamrock"
sailing Lake Erie
from Commodore Perry Yacht Club
Erie, PA

Ron Hill

Guys : Should have mentioned it earlier, but dink choice and dink outboards fall into the same category as:

Anchors, Engine Oil - synthetic vrs regular, type Battery, Religion and Politics, and ofcourse how you plan on using it, etc, etc, etc .    A few thoughts  :donno:
Ron, Apache #788

Stu Jackson

Maybe "not really..."

See Reply #2 in this discussion:  http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,6336.0.html

It all depends on how you intend to use the dinghy.

Really. :D
Stu Jackson, C34 IA Secretary, #224 1986, "Aquavite"  Cowichan Bay, BC  Maple Bay Marina  SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

"There is no problem so great that it can't be solved."

Les Luzar

When it comes to dinghies, bigger is always better, that's what the Admiral will say. But if a small one works, it's all good!  :D :shock: :D :thumb:
Les Luzar
#355    1987
Windshadow
Long Beach, CA

Brad Young

We have a WM compact RIB 310,  with a merc 4hp. (someday I may upgrade the carb to 6hp) We sail in the Sea of Cortez and are always anchoring out in remote coves. We use our dinghy as a car to get us to shore and to see other boats.
I had Darbaby on the foredeck but did not like it. It was always in the way, wether it was when we were anchoring (DarBay has a manual windlass) or when I was use the whisker poll. We also carry 5 5gal jugs on the port side.  We put davits on the stern and have loved it. I can also store my extra gas in the dinghy.
Brad Young
Boat
Year 1986
Model C34
Hull# 84

efhughes3

You migt check out Defender. They have the 2011 Achilles LEX series (Hypalon/CSM) on sale now. I'm going to buy my wife  :thumb: either the LEX 96 or 88 for her birthday. Probably a Honda 5hp motor to go with it too....I'd hate to see her have to row her new boat.  8)
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ralph Masters

Bigger is always better, our dink.
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987

efhughes3

Quote from: SD Diver on March 14, 2012, 08:22:53 AM
Bigger is always better, our dink.

Haha!  :clap

We do get our share of exotic "rubber boats" around SD.
Ed Hughes
La Vie Dansante-1988 C34 Hull 578
SDYC

Ralph Masters

That was taken when I was still in the unit back in 97.  I was the OIC of the two boat detachment.

Ralph
Ralph Masters
Ciao Bella
San Diego
Hull 367, 1987